Chapter 10

It was a normal ride home in the car. I asked the driver, who is now known as Eric, to stop by the store for me so I can pick up some things. He seemed a little hesitant as he looked to Branson.

Branson simply nodded his head and we were on our way.

Once we arrive at the grocery store, I open my car door, but hesitate as I hear the passenger door opening as well. I turn to see Branson exiting the SUV.

"Branson, really it's fine. I can manage on my own." I try to reason with him, but I know I won't get very far.

"Miss Layla, it is my job to protect you, whenever and wherever. I will not be leaving your side." he states sternly

"I understand, but I need to get some women items and I don't feel comfortable with you being there." I mumble, trying to come up with a good excuse.

"Well I'm sure Boss wouldn't feel comfortable with you going alone." He bits back. I know he is only doing his job, but still thought I should give it a shot.

"Touche."

I nod to him and we continue on our way. I am only here to get what Mia requested, but I figured I should be a bit more inconspicuous.

I wander around for a short time looking at random things, all while Branson is hot on my tail, not leaving but a foot or two between us at all times. I understand that he is my guard, but a little space wold be much appreciated.

After stalling as long as I could, I headed over to the women's health section. I find the home pregnancy test almost immediately and grab the one that looks most reliable.

Turning quickly on my heels I head out of the aisle and towards the check out, not paying much attention to Branson.

We finish up at the store and head back to the car. I ask Eric to stop by my parents house on the way home.

He once again nods in agreement as we head in their direction. Turning my attention to Branson, "You won't need to follow me in here Branson. My family has their own men to watch over." I instruct.

I receive a small nod in agreement as we continue the rest of the way there in silence.

I run inside quickly trying to avoid seeing anyone as much as I possibly can. If someone sees me, it will only lead to unwanted questions.

Knowing the time of day, my father and Giovanni should be out to the warehouse we own as well. Mother would most likely be preparing dinner in the kitchen. Which was lucky enough was on the other side of the house and I won't need to pass by there to get to Mia's room.

I knock lightly on Mia's door, hoping that she is in there. When a quiet 'come in' is heard, I open the door and slide quickly into her room, undetected.

I turn to see Mia looking very apprehensive. She is sitting up on her bed as she bites her fingernails. Something she only does in times of dire stress.

Once she realizes it's just me she gets up promptly and rushes over to where I stand by the door.

She wraps me in a tight hug, muttering a delicate thank you. I offered to stay with her, but she insisted on being alone. So I excuse myself and head back to the car undetected by my mother, thankfully.

By the time we get back to the house, I am starving for dinner. I head to the kitchen after my shower and start to make lasagna.

That's one good thing my mother instructed me on how to cook. I grill up some vegetables and set the table. In my exploration of the house, I found a wine cellar, so I grabbed a good bottle of red wine and set it on the table as well.