Chapter 3 l Spooning, Cuts & Scars

"Calla, are you a spoon?" Ban asked, sitting on the bed of the inn the two of them were staying at for the night. Calla quirked a brow as she ran her fingers through her hair that spilled over her nightgown.

"Sorry, but no." She answered, stalking towards her own bed. As soon as she walked by him, Ban's slender arms wrapped around her waist and she squealed as he pulled her against him.

"You are now~" He said, triumph lacing his tone as he threw one of his long leg over hers, one of his hands sliding into her hair.

"What if I wanted to be the big one?" She asked innocently.

"I'd like to see your small frame cuddle mine." Ban said, breath brushing against Calla's now exposed neck as he played with the black tresses.

"Shaddup, I used to be taller." She huffed. He snorted.

"Yuh huh." She found the motion of him running his hands through her hair soothing, falling victim to Ban's antics, and falling asleep as he tugged her just a bit closer.

~

"So you want to find the Fountain of Youth, huh?" Calla asked from the side bathroom as she pulled on her blue hooded tunic and black pants.

"Yep! "Ban answered, singing a small song about the Fountain of Youth and Calla remembered it from Zhivago. Her mind flashed back to the day where both her and Ban sat atop the wall to Lord Roxanu's manor, both bickering whether they should go in early or not.

"I don't think we should." Calla said cautiously, twirling her black hair between her fingers. "Zhivago's probably just late." Ban frowned.

"But we'll end up impressing Zhivago and doing it all on our own!" He insisted and stood up. "I'm going in whether you want me to or not!" He declared and jumped down from the wall.

"Ban—Wait!" Calla said quickly, jumping down and running after him. He threw a rock through the window and she reeled back. Not stealthy. At all. Ban jumped through the window not minding at all and Calla went through, but not as gracefully. Her pant leg caught on a piece of glass and she landed in the small pile of glass in a heap. The glass cut into her face and chest and she whimpered quietly. Ban turned back just as a few of their guards rounded the corner. Calla looked up and saw Ban's stricken face as she heard the shouts of the angry men.

"Go Ban! Get outta here and get Zhivago!" She shouted and Ban's eyes went to her bloodied face, the deepest cut going across her lips. Her eyes widened as another few men rounded the corner behind him and she tore her pant leg as she jumped to her feet and tackled Ban out of the way as a vase went flying. "I said go! I'll distract them for a bit!" She screamed before the one of the guards behind her grabbed the scruff of her shirt.

"Ya little bitch! What're you doing in here, wench?!" He shouted and Ban watched helplessly for a moment before he was grabbed as well.

"Looks like they was working in cahoots!" Another said. "Let's beat 'em and leave them to the wolves." Ban barely felt the kicks and punches thrown his way, instead he only felt pain at the sound of Calla crying out and whimpering. When they were thrown back outside, Calla was barely moving and Ban crawled over next to her.

"I'm sorry, Cals." He whispered, slumping down next to her, unable to move.

"It's okay." She whispered back. "I would never blame you for anything like this."

And everything went dark