2. A Winner Don't Quit On Themselves

Jordyn assumed there was water or something at the bottom of the drop, and this was what made her volunteer to jump first. At a glance over the side, it was all blackness. Whatever was down there, it was too far to see. The blonde girl didn't mind heights, but you weren't human if you could stand up there without your legs shaking at least a little.

Perhaps Virgil wasn't human.

She turned to glance at the tall, imposing figure, wondering if he was serious. He raised an impatient eyebrow at her.

"Today, initiate."

It appeared he was deadly serious. Jordyn narrowed her eyes at him, trying to sense any emotion in his brown eyes, but she couldn't. Whatever he was thinking, he guarded it carefully, and he glared right back at the blonde. Jordyn felt the familiar energy at her fingertips, wanting to break out and be used, but her instincts told her to hold it back. She turned to look at the drop again, took a deep breath, and jumped.

The wind whipped around her, tugging at her clothes, and her hair. It was a long fall - a good five or ten seconds in the air, and she dropped heavily into a broad rope netting, bouncing once, twice, before finally stopping. The rope was harsh on her skin, but she couldn't help laughing a little - of course there was a net. Suddenly the net was being pulled on at the side, and she rolled over, the ropes making ugly marks on her white clothes. She jumped down to the ground, coming face to face with yet another stranger. He was tall, with brown hair and stubble, with a confident air about him.

"Nice to meet you," he grinned at her amicably. "What's your name?"

"Jordyn," said the blonde, returning his smile. "But Jord is fine."

"Jord it is," he nodded. "I'm also Jordan, but I generally get Hendo." He turned, and called to the crowd behind him: "First jumper's down! Give Jord a good welcome, guys."

Jordyn smiled at the group as they cheered happily. She moved over to join them, just as Sadio descended into the compound with a yell, bouncing into the net just as Jord had a few minutes earlier. This continued until all the initiates had jumped, and finally Virgil himself arrived in the netting. Hendo helped him down as well, and the two nodded to each other. Jord watched their interaction curiously, wondering if there was a leader out of the two of them. There didn't seem to be, and she wasn't convinced that they totally trusted each other either. It was something in the way they eyed each other that made her think. Then Virgil turned, and caught her watching them. His eye was critical, and she wondered what he was looking for.

"Alright, listen up!" He yelled, finally tearing his gaze from the blonde. "We'll be going on a tour of the compound. Unless you're a dauntless born, then you can—Trent!" He broke off.

The group of dauntless borns, who'd been making a racket at the back of the group, stopped suddenly, and turned to look at Virgil, startled. Trent, a brunette of about medium build, mumbled a sheepish 'sorry.' Virgil shook his head, but for the first time, Jordyn thought she could detect a hint of a smile.

"Lesson number one," he stated, calmly. "Respect for authority. I don't think that's too much to ask, is it, Trent? Hannah?"

Trent, and the brown haired girl beside him, shook their heads.

"Good," said Virgil. His tone was quiet, but commanding. "Dauntless borns, go with Hendo. We'll see you at dinner."

Jordyn had found Emily, Sadio and Bobby as soon as they'd landed from the net. Emily slipped her arm through Jordyn's, as the group headed down the steps and into the maze of tunnels which was the Dauntless compound. Jordyn was glad of the reassurance, and she glanced at Emily with a small smile.