23. There's An Energy When You Hold Me

The rest of the afternoon was spent happily enough. Hannah and Trent had decided they needed to work on strengthening their control over their powers, and so Virg and Gini had volunteered to help them. It was fairly entertaining, as far as training sessions go, so much so that Ems and Jord had gathered up the reeds they'd been using to weave into mats, and took them to the top of a flat rock not far from the entrance to the valley so they could watch while they worked.

"This isn't a spectator sport!" Trent protested, when he realised what they were doing.

"I think you'll find you're wrong," Jord grinned at him. "This is highly entertaining."

Trent picked up a handful of pebbles, and chucked them in the direction of the rock, but Ems was quicker, and they bounced harmlessly of her shield. Hannah turned to see what the commotion was, and laughed when she saw what was going on.

"Come on Trent, focus," she giggled, taking his hand, and pulling him away.

Gini and Virg had decided that fighting hand to hand would be the best way to help them learn, and it had become a game of who could push who into the lake first. It should have been a one sided battle - Gini was a healer, and Virg could never bring himself to use his power to full effect when play fighting with his friends. However, Hannah and Trent were still learning how to connect their instinctual responses to their power, and when they both ended up in the lake for the third time in a row, even Hannah was tired of it.

"My first thought is to fight with my fists," she complained. "It shouldn't be."

"That's because that's how you've been trained to react since you could walk," Virg told her. "It's a habit, but if you can break it, you'll speed up your reaction time, and you'll be a much better fighter."

"Come on," said Gini, clapping his hands. "Again."

Trent splashed him, throwing a glare in his direction, but reluctantly clambered out of the water once again.

"I hate this," he muttered. Gini chuckled at him.

"Come on, you'll get there."

This time, when they fought, both of them focussed on Gini, and were able to precipitate him into the lake, before Virg shoved both of them in after him.

"We got one!" Trent cheered, holding out a hand to high five Hannah.

"Love that," she grinned.

She splashed Gini playfully, and Trent joined in, causing Gini to yell in protest. Suddenly, though, there was a shield covering him, and all the water they sent towards him was flinging back in their faces.

"What?!" Hannah yelled. "That's not fair! Ems!"

Ems retracted her shield, and waved cheekily to the two of them.

"You're welcome!" she yelled back.

Gini blew her a kiss, before clambering out of the water, and setting up to fight once again. Jord turned to Ems in excited surprise.

"Okay, what was that then!" She whisper-yelled. "You two were colder than ice this morning and now he just blew you a kiss! Please explain!"

"Calm down," the brunette waved her hands at Jord to hush her, although she herself was giggling at her friend's reaction. "We talked things over, and we're together now. I have a feeling big Virg had something to do with it, but Gini was just afraid of getting his heart broken if something were to happen to me."

"But he decided to go for it anyway?"

"Yeah," Ems nodded, with a sheepish smile.

"You two are literally perfect together, I'm so happy," Jord beamed at her friend, pulling her in for a one armed hug. "And you absolutely have to live in the moment, especially these days, or you won't get to live at all."