11. You're the Fire and the Flood

The initiates who survived stage one automatically banded together after the first cut. Virgil had been working with new initiate classes for five years now, so he wasn't surprised to see it happen this time around. The two full days off they got between stage one and two were generally spent in each other's company, so when he didn't see Jordyn for some time, he wasn't particularly worried. That didn't mean he didn't miss her company, having grown used to having the blonde spending increasingly more time in his apartment, but he had his own work to be busy with, trying to sort out how things would work with stage 2 of initiation, when it began. What did surprise him, however, was when Jordyn finally did show up, she was wearing a somber expression, several new cuts and bruises, and a new tattoo.

"What happened to you?" He asked in surprise, letting her in the door of his apartment, and eyeing her arms in confusion, because was that rope burn on her skin?

Jord laughed a little, but it wasn't an entirely happy sound, and okay, now Virg was worried.

"What happened to me? That's a long story."

~.~.~.~

"You two are honestly crazy."

Jordyn was staring at her two oldest friends, wondering what on earth had possessed them to come up with this idea.

"No no no, it will work," said Bobby, swinging his legs over the railing, and glancing back at Sadio and Jordyn, who were still standing safely on the landing by the entry to the compound.

"Trust us Jord, okay?" Said Sadio. "Physics n dat."

"You did not just say that," the blonde rolled her eyes at him.

"It's true! If we all land in the net at the same time it will be fine," said Bobby. "Anyway, if one of us falls off, you can just haul us back on, can't you?"

Jordyn chuckled, shaking her head.

"I'm pretty volatile at the moment, I wouldn't rely on it to save your life, if I were you."

Jordyn had caught the two of them a few minutes ago jumping from the top of the train (yes, the top) all the way over the landing in front and down into the net below, and as a result, the three Candor transfers finally had a conversation about Divergence that should have happened a long time ago.

"How did you find out what you were, by the way?" Asked Sadio, looking at her curiously. "You didn't know until we came to Dauntless, I'm assuming."

"No," Jord shook her head. "Although I've been able to feel that my powers were there long before I ever used them, not that I knew what it was. I guess you know how instinctual it is... essentially, I saved someone from an untimely death, and it was big and dramatic... you know how it is."

"Pffft, okay, modesty isn't your strong point, we know," Bobby grinned.

"Ay, shut up. Can you explain how Enhancer powers work, coz I've been wondering ever since I first witnessed someone using them."

"Pretty much all our senses are just enhanced," said Sadio. "But it's like you have to know how to turn it on, kinda like a switch I guess. You can hear things from really far away, you can zoom in with your eyesight, kinda like binoculars, and you can run faster, jump higher..."

"A lot higher, by the looks of it," Jord shook her head. "You two need to be careful. I'm all for having fun, but Divergents aren't exactly popular, I assume you know that."

"We know," Sadio sighed. "We're the public enemy number one kind of unpopular. We were just lucky we were both going through this at the same time, we could work things out together."