3. This World is Not Meant for You

The initiates awoke early the following morning to the sound of a metal bar clanging against the water pipes.

"Ten minutes, in the pit, don't be late."

"How are you even awake," Jord, who was closest to the source of noise, grumbled, rolling over to glare at him, as he put down his lump of metal. What even was it, anyway?

"You don't even know what time it is," Virgil retorted. "Hurry up. You've got nine minutes, since you just wasted one giving me back chat." He raised an eyebrow at the Candor transfer, and she sighed, sitting up resignedly, and rubbing sleep from her eyes. Around her, her fellow initiates were doing the same thing.

"Can't believe you just spoke to him like that," Emily chuckled, after he'd gone. The two girls were hurriedly getting changed, black pants, jacket, boots, and hair tied up.

"I hate mornings," the blonde muttered. "I'll probably regret it later today."

"You girls ready?" Asked Rory, joining them in the corner, with Lia and Lola in tow. "Girl what did you say to Big Virg? I was still half asleep!"

"He clanged his great chunk of metal right in my ear hole," Jordyn complained. "Bet he did it on purpose too."

"Sure he did," Lia chuckled. "Come on you, put your boots on, you'll cop it if you're late."

There was suddenly a commotion across the other side of the room, and the five of them turned to see a few of the Dauntless born were trying to get something down from on top of the pipes which lined the ceiling above them.

"What on earth..." said Jordyn, breaking off in confusion. "What's going on?" She asked one of them.

"Trent put his boots up there last night, we're tryna get them down for him," said a brunette girl, who Jordyn remembered seeing earlier.

"Why did he put his boots up there?" Asked Emily.

"Why don't you ask Mason and Daniel," said Trent, glaring at the two Dauntless borns from his precarious perch on top of his bed frame.

"Hey, we didn't do anything," Mason objected, with a smirk that wasn't entirely friendly.

"Just help him get them down," the girl glared at him.

"Alright, alright, I'm going to," said Mason. "Daniel help me grab a chair."

They did eventually retrieve Trent's boots, but not without significant grumbling on his behalf.

"Stop complaining, you'd get away with being late anyway, since you're all buddy buddy with Virgil."

"Shut up Daniel," the girl glared at him. "Get lost, you two."

Mason and Daniel shrugged, and headed for the hallway.

"Are you guys okay?" Asked Jordyn.

"I think we're good," Trent sighed, glancing at his friend briefly. "I'm Trent, by the way, and this is Hannah. You're the Candor girl, first jumper, right?"

"Yeah, that's me," Jord smiled a little awkwardly. "I'm Jord. This is Emily, Rory, Lia and Lola."

"Nice to meet you guys," Hannah nodded. "We really need to run, or Virg will have our heads."

"What did they mean that you'd get away with it?" Asked Rory, frowning a little.

"We're good friends with Virg," Trent explained. "They think he'll show favouritism, but he won't. They don't know him."

They ran to the pit, and thankfully, made it just in time. Virgil and Hendo were both there, with a few of the guys who Jordyn had noticed sitting at the table with them the day before. They soon scattered, however, leaving just the two initiate leaders to commence the session.