4. Look at Me, Say What You Really Mean

Gini was no help.

Well, actually, he was a lot of help, it just wasn't what Virg wanted to hear. But his best friend had always been able to see right through him, and that had nothing to do with his divergent power. Gini was a life giver, a healer in every sense of the word, and sometimes Virg wondered if that extended to psychological wounds as well. He certainly seemed to have a sixth sense telling him when Virg was lying to himself, although maybe that just came with familiarity.

"You fancy Jord," was his ultimate diagnosis, and Virg rolled his eyes. The two were sitting in a secluded area of the chasm which ran through the centre of the Dauntless compound, their backs to the wall to be sure no one could creep up and overhear. The crashing of the water down below was so loud that no one would be able to hear from a distance unless they were an enhancer.

"I don't fancy her," Virg objected, his eyes running over their surroundings, constantly checking that no one was approaching them.

"Bro," Gini deadpanned, giving him a pointed look.

"What? Gini come on, man. I..."

"If you're about to say I barely know her, don't bother. This is why you're freaking out because it's obviously not ideal."

"Far from it," Virg muttered. "Do you know how many possible divergents we have in this group of initiates? Trent, because obviously we know him. Then there's Hannah, who I'm pretty sure is a telekinetic from what Trent tells me, not that I've observed anything myself. Then of the transfers we've got Jord who could literally be anything, Emily and Lola are easy to tell..."

"Shields?" Asked Gini. Virg nodded.

"There's a few I'm not sure about. There's a group of three Erudite transfers that are always together, Lola is one of them, the other two are Lia, and Rory, who happens to be Hendo's sister. I'm not sure if it's the fact that they're together all the time or what, but they give me Erudite vibes."

"Vibes?" Gini chuckled. "Virg you're so weird sometimes."

"Shut up," Virg pretended to glare at his friend. "You know what I mean. It's their emotional aura, they just feel like an Erudite-Dauntless cross."

"Like me?" Gini raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, like you, like any Erudite-Dauntless divergent. Remember Andy and Corinne?"

Gini nodded in understanding.

"Lia in particular," Virg continued. "She's brilliant, Gini. She's already worked out the smartest way to fight, and use her own advantages. She just needs to build up some muscle and she'll be a force to be reckoned with. Normally I have to explain that to them, even Jord didn't get that on her own."

"Even Jord," Gini smiled, shaking his head. "Your high opinion of her is very sweet. She's the one I'm most concerned about, by the way. Are you sure you can't feel her emotional aura? Maybe she just doesn't have one."

"What, dead on the inside? I don't think so," Virg chuckled.

"No, idiot, of course she still has emotions, I just meant maybe there's no aura. I don't know, no one before's ever had more than one power, and if she's already a telekinetic..."

"We've got a problem," Virg nodded.

"I've got a question, by the way," Said Gini. "You know I have a theory that divergence is genetic."

"You tell me this daily," Virg rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. Gini's occasional nerdy obsessions made him one of the most interesting characters of his acquaintance. "What's your question?"