28. At Last I See The Light

It was a few hours after the battle had ceased, and the valley was now filled with close to a hundred Divergents talking with each other. None of them had ever experienced anything like it before, and it was incredible to meet so many other people who had been through the same thing as them.

After a while, Hendo and Lia went over to join Virg and Jord, who were having a discussion with a group from Amity - a couple of enhancers, and a Nightingale. Virg had never met another Nightingale before, and they were comparing their experiences.

"Guys," said Hendo. "We should really think about where we go from here. It seems like we can camp out here for a few days, but we need a plan to start building our own compound."

"Jord was telling us you have a design for the new compound already," said one of the guys from Amity.

"We do," said Hendo, reaching for his back pocket.

"He carries that thing everywhere," Lia smirked at him, and Hendo rolled his eyes at her playfully, as he opened up the map to show the others.

"We tried to incorporate elements from all the factions as best as we could, so any Divergent would feel comfortable here," said Virg. "But obviously we need input from everyone else as we're all from Dauntless and we're biased in that way."

"This is amazing," said the taller Amity-born of the group, glancing up to look at them. "Who drew this?"

Jord and Virg glanced at each other, the blonde sucking in her breath sharply.

"One of our friends," Virg stated quietly. "His name was Sadio, he was unfortunately killed during the first attack when we were trying to escape Dauntless."

"He was one of my best friends," added Jord. "He and Bobby spent their whole lives together, and they died side by side."

"Oh," the Amity-born replied, a look of sadness entering into his eyes. "That's terrible Jord, I know how you feel. My best friend was killed yesterday in a similar manner. His name was Micki."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Hendo sighed. "I'm sure he didn't deserve it any more than Sadio and Bobby did."

"We need to honour their memories now," said the shorter Amity born. "I'd love to give you some input for the new compound but I think everyone needs the chance to have a say."

"You're right," nodded Virg. "Maybe we can call everyone together to talk about it?"

"This faction needs a leader as well," said Lia. "That needs to be decided."

"Hey, guys," said Rory, joining the group, a look of worry on her face. "Apparently the leaders of the other factions are on the way. They want to talk civilly, or so we've been told."

"We need to sort this out quickly then," said Virg. "Hendo, Rory, lets try and get some sort of order happening here, so we can at least decide on a few representatives to speak to the other leaders."

The three of them climbed up to the edge of the ridge so they could have a better view of everyone on in the valley, and Hendo yelled to get their attention.

"I hate to break up the party, guys, but you may have heard that the other factions are sending their leaders in to talk to us. We need to decide on a few representatives to speak to them."

Everyone suddenly began talking at once, and Rory shook her head.

"Guys!" She yelled. "This isn't helping, come on!" They suddenly went silent, and turned to look at her. "I have an idea, you can tell me what you think. But at the moment, we're still a little divided by our old faction groups since the people we know are largely from one faction. How about we each elect one or two people to go? That seems to be the fairest way."