21. Should My People Fall, Then Surely I'll Do the Same

Lia was physically and mentally exhausted.

She'd been running for what seemed like hours, herself and Lola separated from the rest of the group, and unable to find anyone who wasn't hell bent on killing them. It seemed that the Dauntless army had withdrawn somewhat, and instead of actively seeking them out, opting to place their troops at all the exit points to the compound, preventing anyone from leaving. The two girls had attempted escape a few times, with Lola shielding the two of them, but both of them were inexperienced, and it resulted in injuries that took Lia some time to heal with her own powers.

"Do you think we're the only ones left in here?" Wondered Lola, as the pair traversed the labyrinth of empty concrete that was the underbelly of the Dauntless compound.

"I hope not," Lia muttered. "But it's beginning to feel that way. We haven't seen anyone else in ages."

"Anyone friendly, you mean," Lola corrected her. "I just hope that means they're all safe, but..."

Gunshots could be heard in the distance, and both of them groaned.

"This way," said Lola, taking her friend's arm, and pulling her down a side corridor.

"This leads back to the pit, Lola!" Lia hissed in alarm.

"I know, but we've tried everywhere else," Lola responded. She halted for a moment, turning to look at the dark haired Life Force. "Maybe they've regrouped there? I don't know."

"Let's try it," Lia nodded, finally agreeing with her.

The pair began to move down the hallway again, Lia's fingertips running hesitantly along the concrete walls as they tried to keep to the edges, prepared to fight for their lives at any moment.

"Wait... someone's coming."

Lia held out her hand to halt Lola in her tracks as the sound of footsteps could be heard. They were soft, but unmistakable, as though whoever it was was trying to be quick, but also didn't want to be found. The two of them fixed their eyes on the bend in the path ahead, with Lola opening her shield as a protective barrier once again. The footsteps drew closer, before finally, the person rounded the bend, and the two girls breathed a sigh of relief.

"Mo!" Lola hissed, her shield instantly dropping. She hurried towards him, and he held a finger to his lips, telling her to be quiet.

"Thank goodness you're okay," he muttered, pulling the girl into a hug, and Lia as well. He appeared to be as happy to see them as they were to see him.

"Where's everyone else?" Asked Lia, in as soft a whisper as she could manage.

"At the chasm," Mo replied. "There's this cavern... apparently it's a secret, not many people know it exists. But that's where everyone's hiding. But I was just checking the halls to make sure no one got left behind."

"So everyone's down there?" Asked Lola.

Mo shook his head.

"No. Some people got out. And some..."

He broke off, and Lia's heart leapt up to her mouth, in a sudden panic.

"Is Hendo okay?" She asked.

"He's fine," said Mo. "he's in the cavern. We just need to get there ourselves without anyone else seeing."

Lia breathed out, relief flooding her like a wave. Hendo was everything to her, and they'd only recently become boyfriend and girlfriend. She didn't know what she would have done if he'd been killed. Mo smiled at her sympathetically.