Epilogue

"Jord! I need more water here please!"

The blonde glanced over to see Trent and Hannah, who were working together as usual, attempting to mix another batch of cement. She jumped down from the platform, where they'd pinned the finalised plans for their compound, before producing some water, adding it to their mix.

"How you guys going?" She asked them. "Trent you have..." she broke off with a giggle, pointing to his forehead.

"Shhhh, he doesn't know about that!" Hannah protested, with a laugh.

Trent reached up in confusion, swiping at his forehead with his fingers, which came away covered in cement.

"Ha ha, very funny," he rolled his eyes, and Hannah had to dodge quickly as he reached out to wipe it on her clothes. "We're good," Trent continued. "We're almost done with this part of the compound. It's amazing to see it finally taking shape."

"It's just how we imagined it to be," Hannah smiled.

Jord glanced around at the limestone walls, interspersed with tall, glass windows, and smiled at her.

"I love it too," she grinned. "It's such a perfect mix of light and dark."

"You know what I'm glad for," said Rory, as she passed by, and overheard them speaking. "The forest is finally growing back after the fire!"

"I know, right!" Jord exclaimed, reaching out an arm to pull Rory in for an affectionate hug. "I've missed our beautiful pine trees."

Rory squealed in protest, but returned her fellow blonde's embrace with a grin.

"Don't hug the second in command when she's on duty!"

"Pffft, okay then," Jord giggled, releasing her. "If I knew giving you power would make you bigoted I wouldn't have voted for you!"

"Ha. Shut up. Pierre and Lia were looking for you, by the way. They need fire for their kiln, they're trying to make clay bricks."

"Always the fire and the water," Jord sighed, dramatically. "People never want me for me anymore."

"That's complete rubbish, and you know it," Trent laughed. "You complain more than me, these days."

"And that's quite a feat, isn't it!" Jord smirked at him, before heading off in search of the brick makers.

As she passed the gate to the valley, she was met with Hendo, Gini, Mason and Tammy, entering with a large, horse drawn cart, piled high with books of all shapes and sizes. Despite the fact that the path was smooth now, due to the neat little road they'd carved out from the gate, and round the side of the lake towards the entrance of the compound, the four of them had a full time job ensuring none of the books dropped in the dirt.

"What on earth..." Jord began.

"It's for the new library," Gini explained, with a beaming smile. "We finally finished it today, and we took a trip to Erudite to buy some books off them."

Jordyn couldn't help smiling at Gini's enthusiasm, and she realised how much he must have missed having a library during his years at Dauntless.

"Be careful up there," she told them. "Hannah and Trent are mixing cement in the middle of the path, so they've got easy access to the new entrance."

"No worries," Hendo chuckled. "We'll look out for them."

When Jordyn finally reached the makeshift kiln, Lia, Pierre, Alex and Ems were all working on it together.

"Alright, where do you want the fire?" She asked them.

"Oh, hey Jord," Lia smiled at her. "We're thinking to just light it underneath, and hopefully that will bake all of the bricks?"