12 - "The Greenhouse"

Ambrosia Hatton stood beside Edward Cullen in the parking lot of Forks high, a pout playing on her lips, arms folded grumpily across her chest. Today they were going on a class trip to the greenhouses and Ambrosia was none too happy, only two days ago did she get out of hospital after surviving a pretty harmful near-death experience. Currently, a large square of gauze plaster was glued to half her forehead, barely covered by her fringe. That was the reason why she currently had her hood pulled up over her large curls.

"Sit with me?" the copper-haired boy wondered, glancing down at his grumpy friend who nodded but the pout failed to drop from her lips. He smiled and turned to her, reaching up and pulling stray curls carefully back behind her hood. The cool of his hand against her pained forehead helped and her eyes flickered shut at the soothing sensation. Seeming to notice the help that he was having, his hand lingered against her temple for potentially too long before it dropped.

When it did so, her bright green eyes opened in an instant and she stared at him. In return, his golden eyes bore into hers in an oddly tantalising spark of desire. His eyes fell to her lips in a second and hers followed his before they were suddenly interrupted from whatever was occurring between them.

"Ambrosia" the sound of her name on such an angelic tongue sounded foreign as she gazed away, the chemistry having been sliced as she caught sight of Alice Cullen bounding toward them happily, she shrouded Ambrosia in a tight hug, squeezing her only slightly too tightly, holding on for death life and rocking them back and forth as she babbled on. "How are you? Oh gosh, you look awful" the girl informed, about the same height as the brunette, golden eyes scanning her face and being drawn to the plaster taped across half her head.

"Alice" Edward warned, tapping his sister on the shoulder softly and the midget Cullen backed off, giving the antisocial girl a chance to breathe for a moment. Her anxiety oddly diminished only a moment later and she smiled despite herself, noticing Jasper and Freddie join their group. The blond man nodded at her and she returned it, glad for his reservation. Fred however, surprised her, he smiled awkwardly, guilt bubbling in his eyes and she frowned but returned his awkward half-smile.

"Come on guys let's go, inside inside" the teacher rushed, looking completely stressed that he was being tasked with taking two busloads of students away from the school environment. "Let's go, guys, we gotta go, green is what? Good... Let's go, guys, come on." he repeated and they finally decided to wander toward the bus, Ambrosia felt Edwards hand against her back as she clambered aboard but for once in her life, she had no complaints as she sat close beside him on the busy bus.

--

"Eggshells, carrot tops. Compost is cool." was a vague sound in the background as they walked through the slightly too hot greenhouse, Ambrosia's head seemed to pulse from the noise of the other people around her as they proceeded, her arm tucked up neatly within Edwards as they did so. Ambrosia had a major desire to speak to him about them, in the past few days, they had become something more than friends however they were very clearly not together. But she was afraid of asking him what she wanted to know, at risk of ruining whatever they had created for themselves. Perhaps he hadn't noticed how close he was getting to her, and if she asked him, maybe he would retract away from her. Ambrosia was too shy to ask the questions she deeply wanted the answer to.

"Don't drink it, it's for the plants"

Fred walked ahead of them, Jasper and Alice slightly in front though Fred's gaze flickered back to her every so often, unnerving her slightly, he was hovering over her, as if waiting to catch her if she fell, Ambrosia suspected that it was a result of the van incident a few days prior. The entire situation continued to be a blur for the short girl, but she remembered him being there, his red hair being prominent in her memories but she couldn't place the exact events other than that she was speaking to Bella and then she wasn't.

Speaking of, the brunette Swan girl seemed to be the only one out of the three in the incident that had come out completely unscathed and she now walked slightly to the side of them, it didn't escape Ambrosia's attention that Fred hung back to speak to the girl, in his usual brooding expression. Alice had told the orphan girl that Edward was usually like that too but she was yet to actually see it with her own eyes.

"How are you feeling?" Edward wondered and she looked up at him, breaking from her train of thought whereby she had been staring at his fancy shoes, paying no mind to where she was actually going.

"My head hurts" her voice was rough and she coughed to clear it as she took in the greenery that was all around them.

"Have you had... painkillers?" he questioned with a slightly wrinkled brow and she frowned but nodded, that had been the first thing she did when she woke up.

"How long do you think it will hurt?"

"Not much longer, it should be wearing off soon, do you want me to contact my father?"

"Oh, no, I'm sure I'm just being silly" she shook it off with a wave of her hand and they continued on their way but it didn't stop the concern that was passing through him. What angered him slightly is that as fate would have it, both Ambrosia and Isabella (the two humans that he and his twin brother were interested in) had minds that could not be read by him. They were the only two people in the world immune to his gifts and he wasn't quite sure what to do about it.

Ambrosia was a real mystery to him, but as the days went passed, he found himself more and more impossibly drawn to the beautiful girl with the green gaze.