20- "Shopping"

Ambrosia blew the hair out of her eyes softly, green eyes glittering as she stared at the rain dancing down the window pane

Ambrosia blew the hair out of her eyes softly, green eyes glittering as she stared at the rain dancing down the window pane. To her side, sat Rosalie Hale in all her stunning glory. The human had awoken to find Edward missing, the male vampires had apparently yanked him away from her bedside to go hunting and she now sat in Rosalie's red BMW, taking in the cherry scent as the blonde drove calmly.

"How are things with you and Edward?" Ambrosia jumped slightly at the sudden words and Rosalie giggled at her shock. "Sorry."

"We're okay," she said the words but both of them knew that she meant much more than that, Ambrosia and Edward were positively marvellous. They were happier together than they had ever been before. Rosalie felt that it was her place to point this out.

"I've never seen Edward so happy, you wouldn't know this because you didn't know him before, but Edward is usually eternally brooding." the blonde seemed overjoyed to be able to tell all of her brother's secrets, perhaps this was the reason for taking Ambrosia shopping. But truthfully, Rosalie wanted to know Ambrosia better, the shy girl with the cherry coloured cheeks and innocent eyes. Rosalie found herself drawn to the girl. She felt the need to protect her.

"Rosalie," she thought about something she had noticed again the previous night, and as she suddenly said the blondes name with a burst of confidence and suddenly, her cheeks blushed. Rosalie smiled softly, warmly despite her cold composure as she turned to face the brunette girl, her brother's soulmate.

"Yes?"

"W-what does it mean if your eyes go black?... And...Not because you're hungry, are there other reasons?" she asked softly, quietly and Rosalie rounded her gaze on her for a second in shock before bubbling in giggles. Ambrosia looked down, suddenly feeling sick, her hairline feeling hot as the blonde laughed at her and seeing Amrbosia's reaction, Rosalie calmed herself.

"Amby," she said the nickname mainly to calm the girl slightly. "Our eyes change either if we are hungry... Or, if... Well, it's what a human would call being 'turned on'." Rosalie grinned at her like she was giving her the birds and the bees talk for the first time.

"W-what?" Ambrosia was in slight horror, flustered by the conversation shift.

"Obviously, you did something that Edward liked" Rosalie smiled softly, driving easily. "Rosia, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you haven't done any of those things?" her face was still hot and she became impossibly redder at the words as she nodded. "Right well, you are in a fortunate position whereby your blood doesn't hurt Edward, it... attracts him. And that means the two of you can be close. You don't have to do anything you aren't ready for and Edward is a complete gentleman, through and through. He'll accept that. But if you are ready for more Ambrosia, you can do more. He'll love you no matter what" Rosalie smiled softly and Ambrosia couldn't help but suddenly feel soothed by her presence.

Finally, after a long drive, they arrived at the shopping mall, Alice and Esme pulling up in their own car beside them in the parking lot. Everyone exited the cars together and entered. The day was long for Ambrosia, Alice being a ball of excitement that bounced between shops excitably, buying more things than Ambrosia could count. And Rosia herself was uncomfortable as she clutched her beaded purse, entering shops that where she couldn't even afford a pair of socks. She had money, but not that much. For a long while, Alice and the others didn't question it when she said she didn't want or like anything. And eventually, after a long time, they realised her worries and Esme promised to buy her anything she wanted, not that Ambrosia would ever accept that.

Finally, when the Cullen females had finished combing through the many stores of the mall, the sun was gradually setting and the reason for bringing two cars became clear as they squeezed the many bags inside, Ambrosia only having two of her own. One contained some books she had purchased and a gift for Edward, the other held the small amount of clothes Esme had insisted on buying her, despite her disagreement.

"Ambrosia" she turned to face Rosalie. "You... How much money do you get for your allowance?" the blonde questioned, looking at her with nothing but warmth in her eyes and Ambrosia just blinked at her for a long moment.

"Sixty-three dollars" she replied and the blonde stared deeply at her.

"What do you have to spend that on?"

"Everything." she sighed, her eyes turning to face her hands. "I have to purchase my food, I would have had to purchase fuel but I don't have to now... Just, anything I need really. It's completely liveable, that amount of money." she tried to defend when the conversation drew to a close and Rosalie nodded with a soft smile, saying no more on the subject as she turned her gaze back to face out the front window as she drove.

Ambrosia glanced down at her hands, her eyes tracing over the hands that had pawed through so many books and she suddenly felt so completely out of her element. She was out of depth here, with the Cullens, in Rosalie's fancy car. Ambrosia Hatton had nothing, at the end of the day... That blue bug had been her only thing of any substantial worth and now it was gone. Her parents lived in a rented apartment, they loved one another and that had been enough to see them through the poorer times, Ambrosia was so young then, she didn't see their financial issues. Not until they became her own. What little they had in savings went toward giving them the best funeral they could have. And that was it.

Ambrosia lived off of sixty-three dollars a week, that was all. And when she turned eighteen, she was expected to leave. She didn't even have a car now to drive away in. And here she was deluding herself into believing that she had found a home here, with them. The Cullens were everything that Ambrosia Hatton was not. She knew that, inevitably, it wasn't a good combination.