19 - "Sleepover"

Ambrosia followed Edward slowly through the house, her hand slipped softly into his, basking in the satin cool of his hand, the gentle pressure that guided her up the many flights of stairs

Ambrosia followed Edward slowly through the house, her hand slipped softly into his, basking in the satin cool of his hand, the gentle pressure that guided her up the many flights of stairs. Silence lingered around them, her bag gripped tightly in his other fist as they reached a door that was slightly ajar and he smiled at her, his teeth glinting softly as he kicked it open.

His bedroom was everything that she expected, rows of music and books, a huge glass window, a desk and a rather substantial sized black leather sofa, blankets strew across lazily. He was slightly uncomfortable and she could feel it though couldn't fathom why. Pressing the door slowly closed, Edward felt a tension zing in the air, just at the sight of her in his room. Her brown curls were played around her cherry cheeks lazily, lips glossy and eyes bright as she took in all there was to see. Leaning against the previously closed door, he watched her, eyes trailing where she walked, lilac painted fingertips stroking the spines that decorated his room.

Eventually, she turned to him, a grin splitting across Ambrosia's cheeks. And he couldn't help but flash toward her at that moment, she seemed to have been expecting it as he hoisted her up into his arms, her lips parting in a gentle giggle. His cool cold lips smashed delicately against hers as he braced her against the CD shelves, her hands tangling instantly into his hair as their lips danced with a fiery passion, his hips swaying only slightly, a restrained movement.

Their fiery moment continued for the longest moment but ended far too soon for them both as he pulled away, allowing the breath to flow through her lips for a moment as he placed her upon the desk, standing between her legs. Edward's hands softly caressed her hair back into place, her eyes closed to him for a moment as she breathed.

"We'll press pause on that for now" he chuckled gently and her eyes opened instantly, her lips pulling back into a shy grin. Edward made Ambrosia feel so utterly giddy, butterflies fluttering in a way that made her feel only slightly sick in the most amazing way. Her life was unpredictable now, every single second worth living. She was in awe of him, and all that he promised. Ambrosia had spent her life unconsciously chasing a miracle and her fairytale struck her when she least expected it. Here he stood before her.

Edward drew out a different side to Ambrosia, without ever even trying. She was free with him, the sweet bubbly side that she was before her parent's death could thrive in his presence, unrestrained with grief.

"Do we have to?" her perfect teeth bit her candy coloured look, it wasn't a sensual way, it was in sweet embarrassed longing and he returned with a press on her lips once more. Beyond the window, darkness had fallen, stars speckling high above the tips of the trees with a glistening velvety backdrop. The glass turned to mirror in the artificial light and Ambrosia's eyes dropped from it the second she met the face of her reflected twin.

Ambrosia had forever been unhappy with her appearance, the girl of only seventeen was practically identical to her dearly departed mother, the sight of her own face panged her heart. Where Ambrosia had only ever saw her mother as beautiful, she saw herself as a ghostly reminder of what had been. As if reading her mind- which of course he could not do- Edward spoke up.

"You are so gorgeous Ambrosia" his hands gently caressed the curls that bounced around her head in a halo, the strands soft between his fingers. In Edward's eyes, there had never been someone as beautiful as Ambrosia Hatton.

"I look like her" her voice shook with the strain of the words, shuddering along with the chords, eyes threatening to spill over in a tidal wave with the gentle quivering of her plump lower lip. Her cheeks flushed with the desire to release all the turbulent emotions that had so suddenly swamped her. A moment prior, Ambrosia was content in the arms of Edward, his lips fogging the thoughts in her brain. Edward promised Ambrosia a life away from this pain. But she had to get through it first.

The girl felt so awful for the damper she had forced upon the situation but his golden eyes only held sincere worry, not pity but empathy, all the emotion she had wanted. Ambrosia was conflicted between the emotions she had felt on repeat throughout her life and the emotions he had managed to spur within her in recent time.

"Ambrosia... You are gorgeous" he stated again, eyes only on hers because he didn't need his powers to tell when somebody was hurting, it was written all across her face. "Don't take the fact that you look like your mother to be a bad thing... It is such a brilliant thing because even though she is gone now, she lives on in you every day and you're a reminder to everyone of how beautiful she was.

"I feel like the ghost of her. I just want to have a day. I don't remember a single day with them in my lives, I just want a moment, something to remember them by because every time I think about them, it feels like I'm trying to catch smoke."

"All they wanted was for you to have the most amazing life you could. Now is your time to make those memories Ambrosia, knowing that they are watching and wishing they were here with you. They'd be so proud of you." And then she cried into his chest, the kind of pained sobbing that left you unable to breathe, unable to do anything, say anything but cry, body shuddering in nearly physical pain.

Slowly, their hugging position switched to her lying on his leather couch, glad now at its larger size, the cool leather kissing her exposed skin, her body dressed in soft cotton pyjamas as she cuddled the cushion that smelt so gloriously of him. And Edward lay beside her, somewhat less comfortably, a book in hand as he guarded her in her sleep. Ambrosia was content in Edward's arms, in the safety of his bedroom. The Cullen mansion was a fortress and although she was surrounded by deadly creatures, Ambrosia Hatton had never felt so safe.