Chapter 4

I opened my eyes to a bright room, causing me to groan in pain and shake my head. I closed my eyes and brought my hands up to rub them. I groaned at the pain in my head and brought my hands up to hold it as I sat up in my bed. I rubbed my temples to try and take the pain away and opened my eyes to look around the room. When I did, I saw that I was in a hospital bed and looked around in confusion for a few moments. I looked to my right to see a button to call for a nurse, so I reached over and pressed it in hopes of someone coming in and answering it.

"Your awake," The nurse said in shock.

"Where am I," I questioned her.

"A hospital, in Malibu, California," She explained to me softly. I looked at her in confusion and looked around the room, causing her to continue explaining. "You and your father were attacked after your weapons demonstration in Afghanistan. You hit your head when another missile hit near your humvee. The soldiers were able to extract you safely and you were brought back here. You've been out for about a week."

It all started coming back to me after her explanation. Pepper! I was on the phone with her when it all happened. "Where is Pepper?"

"Miss Potts is currently at your company trying to smooth things over until your better," She explained.

"I need Pepper. Call her, now," I demanded.

"Miss Stark. Please, calm down," The nurse begged.

"No, I will not calm down. I want Pepper here and I want her here now," I yelled at her.

"Miss Stark-," She started but got cut off.

"Give the young woman what she wants, Valerie," The doctor said as he walked in. The nurse looked back at him and nodded at him with a sigh before walking out. I looked up at the nice doctor and gave him a thankful nod for his help. "Miss Stark, how are you feeling."

"Like I had my head smashed in by a bag full of bricks," I sighed out.

"That's understandable. You hit your head pretty hard," He nodded at me sympathetically. He then pulled a penlight out of his coat and held it up to my eyes. "Focus on my finger."

I did as told and followed his finger with my eyes. He continued to move it around for a few more seconds, looking at both my eyes before he turned his flashlight off and place it back in his pocket. "Well, as far as I can tell, you don't have any sort of concussion or anything like that. We'll run some tests anyway, though, just to confirm your okay. If everything looks alright, then you'll be free to go tomorrow."

"Thank you," I nodded at him.

"Your welcome, Miss Stark. You had a lot of people worried about you. Especially a young man who keeps coming in here to check on you every day. He even sits in the chairs outside and watches your door sometimes."

My thoughts immediately went to Alex, and a smile spread across my face at the thought of him doing that.

"Well, I'll let you get your rest. I'll tell the cafeteria to bring you some food up as well."

I nodded at him with a smile and looked down at my lap as he walked out of the room. I let out a sigh when I was alone again and looked over at my table to see a remote. I grabbed it to turn the TV on, hoping to find something to watch until Pepper gets here. However, that was useless because she came rushing in right as I turned the TV on. Damn, was that woman already on her way here? I looked to the door to see her stop in her tracks and I noticed tears were already starting to build up in her eyes at the sight of me.

"Ally," She whispered out. She dropped all of her things in the chair in the room before rushing over to me and pulling me into a hug. "I was so worried about you. I didn't know what was happening. I thought you died until Rhodey called me and told me they were flying you back."