Chapter 9

It's been almost three months since the accident

 It's been almost three months since the accident. Three months since I have seen my father. Three months since I lost the only family I had left. Three months since I've actually fully felt happy. And the sad thing is, I don't know if I ever will be happy again.

It's September, now. Which means one thing, my birthday is coming up. My 21st. I know you're supposed to be happy when your 21st comes up, but I can't bring myself to be happy. Because my father won't be there to celebrate with me. He won't be there to give me some big elaborate party that will be followed by some big elaborate present. Which is why I don't want to celebrate my birthday. Because it's just a reminder that he's missing. However, Pepper isn't giving me a choice on the matter. She thinks that celebrating should be a good thing and will take my mind off of everything that going on right now.

"Pepper, I really don't want to celebrate my birthday," I denied, looking down at my breakfast.

"Ally, come on, it's your 21st birthday. You can't just not celebrate one of the most important birthdays of your life," Pepper argued with me.

"Well, I don't want to have a big party and invite everybody and their freaking brother to my house when I don't feel like socializing at all. It's just a reminder that everything has changed," I sighed out to her.

"Well, I'm not saying we'll have a big party and "invite everybody and their freaking brother." I'm just offering a small little thing. We'll make reservations at a restaurant and invite the people you want to be there," She offered.

"Okay, so that would be you, Happy, Alex, Uncle Rhodey, Obie, and... That's it," I listed off on my fingers before smiling up at her.

"Okay, then I'll make reservations. Let me know if you want to add more people to the list," Pepper told me, writing a reminder on her to-do list for the day.

"Pep, I don't think you need to make reservations right this very second."

"Actually, I think I do with your birthday being only a week and a half away," Pepper shrugged at me.

I rolled my eyes and went back to eating my breakfast as Alex came walking into the kitchen.

"Morning, Pep," Alex greeted.

"Morning, Alex. Take good care of her today, make sure she doesn't try to do anything that will get her hurt. She's trying to get out of celebrating her birthday," Pepper told him with a smirk.

"Oh, don't worry. I will not take my eyes off of her for a second," Alex smirked back at her before looking back at me.

"Alright, I'll see you two at the office," Pepper smiled at us, gathering her things and leaving the kitchen.

"Bye, Pep," I called after her before looking up at Alex. "Maybe instead of making sure I don't get hurt, you could try and convince her not to celebrate my birthday."