Chapter 14

"The 15-mile hike to the outskirts of Gulmira can only be described as a descent into hell, into a modern-day Heart of Darkness

"The 15-mile hike to the outskirts of Gulmira can only be described as a descent into hell, into a modern-day Heart of Darkness. Simple farmers and herders from peaceful villages have been driven from their homes, displaced from their lands by warlords emboldened by a new-found power. Villagers have been forced to take shelter in whatever crude dwellings they can find in the ruins of other villages, or here in the remnants of an old Soviet smelting plant," the reporter on the TV said, showing hundreds of people walking across the dessert befoe cutting to terrorists shooting guns and setting off bombs.

I could feel myself feeling sicker and sicker every second I watched this. I clutched my Panda Bear animal closer to me as I watched the newscast continue on.

"Recent violence has been attributed to a group of foreign fighters referred to by locals as the Ten Rings. AS you can see, these men are heavily armed and on a mission. A mission that could prove fatal to anyone who stands in their way. With no political will or international pressure, there's very little hope for these refugees. Around me, a woman begging for news on her husband, who was kidnapped by insurgents, either forced to join their militia or murdered by them. Desperate refugees clutch yellowed photographs, holding them up to anyone who will stop. A child's simple question, "where are my mother and father?" There's very little hope for these refugees, refugees who can only wonder who, if anyone, will help."

I am cut off from my stare at the TV by the sound of glass breaking downstairs. I immediately reach for my remote to turn off my TV, run over to grab the gun that Nat gave me for my birthday, and run downstairs to make sure my dad is alright. I take the safety off and hold my gun down towards the floor in both hands as I creep downstairs. When I see that nothing is wrong, I start moving towards the stairs to dad's workshop. I make it halfway down the stairs when I realize that it was dad's windows that I heard. I stare at all the glass on the floor in shock and continue down the stairs to see dad standing with the arm of his suit on, and he looks angry. I set the safety on my gun again and held it in one hand at my side as I stared at him.

"Get your earpiece on, we have work to do," He said simply as he went to go and change.

I nodded at him and tread lightly over the glass before walking over to his computer desk. I placed my earpiece on and started typing on the computer to get the suit ready for dad. I looked over as dad walked out in a skin-tight black suit and walked over to his landing pad. I hit a few buttons on the keyboard, causing it to open up and start placing the suit on dad as he stood on it. Once he was done, the mask was placed on his face and he flew out without a word. I activated my earpiece and dad's face popped up on my screen along with what he sees as he flies. I knew where he was wanting to go without him telling me. I set a course for Gulmira, hoping he can stop the monsters who have our weapons.

******************************************************************************

I watched as dad landed in front of one of the men. He stood and he started shooting at dad, the gun not affecting him because of his suit. Dad walked towards him and punched him in the stomach, sending him flying back into one of the buildings. Dad used his repulsor and shot one of the other men through one of the walls of another building. Another man started shooting at him, causing dad to turn and shoot him backward. He turned again and used both his hands to shoot a guy backward into some Stark Industries boxes.