Chapter 18

Dad and I arrived back at the house and walked into the front door, only to not hear JARVIS greet us like he normally does

Dad and I arrived back at the house and walked into the front door, only to not hear JARVIS greet us like he normally does. I listened closely to hear the alarm beeping over and over again, causing a pit of dread to form in my stomach.

"Ally, stay close," my dad whispered before walking further into the house. "JARVIS," dad called out as he walked forward.

"Welcome home, sir," JARVIS's voice rang out slowly before dying off completely.

I looked up at dad before moving over to the table that was in the hallway and pulling out my gun from underneath it.

"I thought Pepper and I told you to get rid of that thing," He whispered to me in a scolding manner.

I scoffed at him before I removed the safety. "Did you really think I would listen to you? Besides, aren't you happy that I didn't consider the situation we're in right now?"

Dad rolled his eyes and sighed as I walked forward towards the living room. I scanned the area slowly and noticed a figure dressed in all black facing the window and looking out at the view from our house. I lifted the gun up and pointed it at the person as he began to speak.

"'I am Iron Man.' You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you and your daughter have become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

"Who the hell are you," Dad questioned the man.

He walked forward into the light to reveal a tall, bald, African American man wearing an eyepatch. "Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. You can put down the gun, Miss Stark. I'm not here to hurt you."

I hesitantly lowered my gun when I realized that this man is Alex's boss. I took a deep breath and sat the gun down on the table behind me before looking back at the man in front of us.

"So why are you here," I questioned him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm here to talk to you two about the Avenger Initiative."