CHAPTER FIFTEEN : COMFORTING WORDS

CHAPTER FIFTEENCOMFORTING WORDS

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
COMFORTING WORDS

OCTOBER 8TH, 1983

2:00 AM. . .

Two hours Angelo had stayed up waiting for Link to call him. Everyone had. But his mother and Vera had been passed out on the couch, while Donna was in her room. Angelo was in his room by the phone, just waiting for it to ring.

The Italian boy was worried about both of his friends. One being worried sick about his sister, and the other being in intensive care at the moment. He couldn't handle seeing Link like that. It was a whole different side of him.

Angelo did everything to distract himself. Drawing, singing to himself, listening to the music on his stereo. But did anything work? No, not one bit. It only helped him not pass out and miss Link's phone call. The boy was worried sick.

At two forty-five, the phone finally rang, and the boy had quickly picked it up. "Hello?" He quickly answered.

" 'Ey, Angie," Link said to him. His tone sounded sleepy and stressed. Like he had been crying all his energy out.

"Is everything alright? Are you alright?" Angelo asked him with worry laced into his voice.

"I'm fine, but for Ly. . . It isn't lookin' too good, mate," Link answered quietly.

"Ly's a tough girl, she'll get through this. I know she will, and so do you," Angelo says to him.

"I know, Ang, but. . ." Link stopped for a moment. He couldn't get out the words.

"What is it, Link?" He replies, "C'mon, you gotta talk to me babe," He says, too tired to even recognize the nickname he had just called him.

"What if it's the opposite result?" Link asked, on the verge of tears, "I can't lose 'er, she's the only family I got!"

"Shhh, It's okay. . ." Angelo said in a soothing voice, "Everything will be okay. You just hope for the best. Don't think about the worst case scenario."

"But that's all I can think about!" Link told him, his voice shaking, "I just have that feeling that Marianne might have killed by sister."

"Don't think about Marianne, think about Lyla," The Italian boy replied, "Think about your favorite memory you had together. Anything like that."

Link thought for a moment. He always liked being with Lyla, despite their differences as twins.

"Well, it was the Christmas of '79," Link started quietly, "My mum had spent all our money on us. We were seven at the time."

Angelo nodded, listening to everything he was saying. "Uh-huh. . . Keep going," Angelo told him.

"My mum got me my first drum set," He explained, "It was the Fisher Price toy set, but I still loved it."