Chapter 3: Touchiness

"Okay, let's see how good you are. Try to take me on. And an extra challenge: see if you can try to pin me to the ground," Mason says, as my hands stay up to defend myself. I feel like I'm going to charge at someone and break their neck, but knowing it's Mason, I know that he'd come back to life and kill me if I tried to do it on him.

"You're on, Mason. I think I can take you down," I say, with a cocky look in my eye. I can almost feel Mason laugh inside on how confident I am about this.

Mason smirks, and says, "We'll see about that."

Next thing you know, he comes towards me, with his fist coming towards me. I take my hand, grab his wrist, and turn him swiftly. His free hand comes to probably almost hit me, as practice, and then I take it and hold it tightly. His foot comes up, but I kick his knee somewhat lightly so that I actually don't break it. The next thing you know, I twist his hand behind his back and I push him down to the ground.

He, of course, resists, and yet I try. I kick the back of his knees, and then he falls to the ground. I pin him to the ground, and say, "Challenge completed," in his ear. I feel like I'm in a Liam Neeson movie and I just fought the bad guys in order to save someone important to me.

I let go of Mason, and he stands up to face me. "You're getting a lot better. I'm proud. Next thing you know, you're going to break Daniel's neck!"

Mason says, with a proud look on his face. I shake my head, and say, "One day. He's going to end up in pieces if he decides to piss me off. Trust me, he'll be begging for mercy."

Mason frowns, but I know that he's just teasing me to appear really scared. "Wow, you're ruthless. Don't worry, I'm a little bit evil sometimes too. Like with Sarah. Trust me, we love to insult each other."

I snort, and say, "Mason, that's not being evil. That's being snarky. There's a difference. Being evil is like causing others pain without mercy. Intentionally. That's being evil. And if being snarky was being evil, then you'd probably be arrested a long time ago."

Mason rolls his eyes, and says, "You're a funny person. But fine, I guess you're not wrong."

I gasp a little bit, and say, "You admit that I'm not wrong? What did you take? Am I dreaming?" Mason scoffs, and I just chuckle at the little joke.

********

"You know, Mason, this is kind of spicy," Sarah says, as she spoons some food into her mouth. As Sarah is complaining about the spice, I'm just wolfing the food down, because if you're Indian like me, then you're basically fed hot sauce as breast milk.

As I'm eating, Mason just raises an eyebrow, and says, "What? Are you upset that the food is spicier than our marriage?" I almost choke, as I start to laugh uncontrollably. Nathan also joins me, as we both start to laugh.

Mason comes over with his plate, and then I get up and hold my hand out. Mason slaps it, in a high five, and Nathan does the same that I do.

Sarah herself has an amused look on her face, and says, "Wow. Never mind it. He just roasted me more than the vegetables."

Mason just chuckles, and says, "I just did, didn't I? Don't worry, I still love you, and give me a second." Mason gets up from the seat and goes over to the refrigerator to get some yogurt.

I continue to eat my food, while Nathan says, "Damn, you were choking so much that I thought Mason had slipped some seafood into your meal." Ah yes, my fatal allergy to seafood. Thinking about the several times I've had contact with it and nearly died on the spot makes me shudder a little bit.

I raise an eyebrow, and say," I would've probably started to die if Mason fed me seafood. My face would become a red balloon, and I'd probably collapse because I don't have the ability to breathe. Mason knows better than to put seafood in my food. Sarah too."

Nathan nods, and says, "Breaking news! Girl murdered by eating seafood and not receiving proper medical attention!"

I finish up the last of my meal, and say, "You know, one day, that's going to happen. For sure."

************

"Ashmita, can you pass me the salt?" Mason asks, as I open the spice cabinet.

I take out the salt container, hand it to him, and he says, "Thank you."

I sit on the counter, waving my legs, as he continues to stir the food. "So, let me get this straight. You went to England with your parents, and you're never going to make English food for me?" I ask.

Mason closes up the salt can, and says, "Ashmita, English food is so bland. There's absolutely no salt or spices in it. Lebanese food is so flavorful. You use lots of spices, and it's just so comforting. When I ate seafood in England, I felt like I was chewing rubber. It was nasty. Armenian food is also really good. Just not when it's cooked by Sarah."

I snicker a little bit, and Sarah, who's checking the mail from the dining table, just says, "That's just cruel."

Mason puts the glass lid on the pot, and comes over to where I'm sitting on the counter. He puts his hands on my thighs, and says, "Anything on the Facebook internship? Any email, whatsoever?"

I shake my head, and say, "No. Nothing yet. I've been checking nonstop. I'm getting worried. What if I don't get the internship?"

Worry wrings my voice, as I start to consider the worst of all possibilities. Mason just shakes his head, and says, "Don't say that. You're definitely going to get it. If they don't accept you, then Facebook is just stupid. You're definitely qualified, and you go over the top for qualifications."

I smile, and then Sarah gets up, and says, "It's true, Ashmita. You've got everything laid out for you. All the qualifications, the work ethic, the drive. Honestly, I'd be shocked if you didn't get it. Because like Mason said, they're idiots if they don't accept you."

I smooth out my shirt, and say, "Thanks, guys. I feel a little bit better."

They smile, and Sarah says, "Hey, we're here for your encouragement. Always." Sarah grabs her keys from the table, and says, "I have to go to the store. I'll be back in 20 minutes."

She prances out of the kitchen, while Mason dries his hands on a dish towel. "So, Ashmita, do you think you could pick up Nathan next Tuesday? I have a meeting when he gets out so I won't be able to pick him up."

I nod, and say, "Yeah, of course. I'll be there."

Mason slings the dish towel on the oven bar, and then bends down to get a pot from the cabinet. Right when he does so, the doorbell rings. "Who is it?" Mason asks, as I get down from the counter.

"I don't know. Did Sarah forget something?"

Mason shakes his head, and says, "Not possible. She would've come through the garage." I walk down the stairs to check, and he says, "Shout if you need anything. I'm here."

I strut downstairs, flick the lock open, and swiftly pull it open. I look at who's standing in front of me, and say, "Hi, how can I-" Before I can finish my sentence, I realize who's standing in front of me. It's someone who I never imagined I'd see right here in front of me.

Someone who I thought I was done with. Someone who deserves the right to rot in hell. But most importantly, one of the only people to cause a little bit of fear to boil inside of me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, so it looks like someone decided to pay a visit. And someone who Ashmita is not fond of. Any guesses? Let me know.

Hey everyone! How's it going? I hope you guys like the chapters, because it's my first shot at writing mystery, and I'm all about cutesy romance, ahaha.

Also, what are you sick of seeing in mystery? Let me know.

That's all I got. Hope you guys liked this chapter!

Please vote/comment/share/follow/message if you like my work! See you next Sunday with a new chapter of The Secrets of Confessions. Have a great week!

Love you guys,

Shree