Chapter 27: The Final Crumb

I'm almost there. There's just one more thing that I need to cement my thoughts about the case. I just need to look at the autopsy one more time, and then my findings are going to be consistent. Then, I can perfectly conclude that Cody was the one that killed my mom, and then the whole thing will be solved once and for all. Then, I can be absolutely sure.

I pull out the report once more so that I can look at the angle of the stab wounds. That could be one of the main indicators that Cody could have possibly committed the crime. With that, I can fairly accurately say whether or not Cody could have had a possibility to murder my mom.

I look at the autopsy report to see if the stab wounds are upward, like I thought. It's one of the only things that I can use to see if Cody has a huge possibility of murdering my mom. Then, I will wrap up this case fully.

I open the folder and take a look inside. I try to get past all the details that describe other markings on my mom's body, such as the bruises and possible scratches. I try to find the part that says that the stab wounds are going upwards, but so far, I have to read every line in detail, like watching paint dry. I won't complain, because if it involves me trying to find out the murderer of my mom, then I will gladly do it.

After looking through the report for several minutes, I find exactly what I'm looking for. I find the piece of information that talks in detail of the stabs wounds. I read it carefully, and it's all the same at first. A good amount in the stomach, several throat slits, some in the chest. Although, most of them are in the stomach, which I find sort of odd. Her hands detail defensive wounds as a result of trying to deflect the knife.

Of course, this stirs up the usual bout of nausea inside of me, to which I try to swallow back. I don't want to let it get the best of me, so I try not to picture it in my mind. That's the last thing that I need or want at that moment.

Finally, after reading about the overview of the wounds, I get to the direction of the stab wounds. Some of them are straight, some downward, but then I get to the part that I'm looking for. The part that details the direction of the majority of the stab wounds. I look through it, and surely enough, it has the thing that I'm looking for. Out of the forty six times that she was stabbed, about 22 of those wounds were upward.

That's exactly what I was looking for. He could have done a good amount of those stab wounds upwards, then done the rest downwards to finish off the job. It all makes sense. Everything is starting to come together. I now have all the reason to think that Cody may have been the person that killed my mom.

At the same time, I can't help but feel a little bit proud of myself. I had such limited resources, which included the diaries and the autopsy report, which was done 16 years ago. I was able to use all of that and still come up with a valid conclusion as to who I think killed my mom.

And now, it's boiled down to one man. Cody.

I walk downstairs, still trying to process everything. One of Mason's closest friends probably killed my mom, and is walking a free man. I don't know whether I should scream at him and call him a murderer, or keep quiet and let people suffer.

All I know is that the next time he comes over, I'm not going to keep my mouth shut. I'm going to let the world know what kind of person he is. Especially for everything that he did to my mom.

********

"Hey, Ashmita, do you ever wonder why the world sometimes revolves around us sometimes?" Nathan asks me, as he pours himself a big glass of milk for the evening.

I just raise an eyebrow at him, and say, "I have no clue, my dude. It's just like I don't know how I was able to get a 3 on the AP European history exam, yet here we are."

Nathan scoffs a little bit, and then takes a little sip of his milk. "Please, it can't be that hard."

I give him a slight stare of death. He has no idea what memorizing the events of the French Revolution, Bismarck's work, and the three victorious Prussian wars was like on my poor mind. It was like watching paint dry in slow motion. "Oh, really? Okay, you tell me what Henry VIII's Act of Supremacy is, hm? Go on. I can wait here all day."

Nathan looks at me, with his face slowly turning white, as he tries to think of a solid answer. "Uh, was it when Henry VIII passed an act that made his sons king no matter what?"

I snicker at Nathan's adorable attempt to try to make a feasible explanation to that part of history. "You're not even close. The Act of Supremacy was when Henry VIII essentially made himself — the king — the head of the Church of England after breaking away from the Catholic Church so that he could divorce his wife, fuck, and marry his mistress, and legitamize his mistress's child."

Nathan looks at me, with his eyes bugged out, and then gulps back a little lump in his throat. "Dang, he really couldn't keep it in his pants, huh?"

"Yep. His four other wives would agree."

Nathan almost chokes on his milk after that, and manages to stutter out, "F-ff-f-four? What the fuck happened? Did he make them magically disappear?"

"Nope, worse. He executed the second and fifth one for supposed cheating, the third one died in childbirth, and the sixth one outlived him."

Nathan just walks to the side a little bit to process what kind of person this dude was, and then takes a deep breath to take everything in. He walks back to me, and says, "Dang, I think Daniel would definitely do that. Just watch."

"If a girl somehow finds that walrus-toad hybrid slightly attractive, then yeah, he'd do that. The day a girl finds that horny mess attractive is the day that I can juggle chainsaws."

I widen my eyes, thinking about how disturbing the outcome of that would be. After cringing a little bit at the thought, I hear Sarah come down, to the sound of us chattering away. She looks at us both, with a slight smile on her face, as she gets herself a glass of water. "Yeah, Henry VIII was kind of a weird dude. I wouldn't want to be one of his wives."

"Nobody would, Sarah."

Nathan looks at Sarah with a slight smile, and says, "Mom, are you excited for your wedding anniversary with Dad?"

Sarah's look turns into a more enchanted one, and then she just continues to smile a little bit more. "Yes, definitely. I can't wait to go out for dinner with Mason, and then come home feeling wonderful and loved. It's going to be a blast. We're going to have Cody and Cole for dinner on Sunday, for sure. This whole weekend is going to be amazing."

I resist the urge to gag a little bit at the thought of Cody coming over. The thought of the same man who may have had his hands on my mom walking through the front door of the house is sickening.

I hope that my predictions aren't wrong when it comes to this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if she's wrong as well. Do you guys think she's wrong? Let me know in the comments.

Hey everyone! How's it going? You all good in these crazy times? So, I just had a question. Long distance relationships in books. Yay or nay? Let me know in the comments.

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Please vote/comment/share/follow/message if you like my work! See you all next Sunday with a new chapter of TSOC! Have a great week!

Love you guys,

Shree