Chapter 12: Suggestions

"Please tell me you get the cell and the ATP and photosynthesis. I'm so tired." I push the book back towards Nathan, and he nods.

"I get it, don't worry. I know that it's not an easy course. That's why I'm asking you for help."

I raise my eyebrow at him because his logic makes zero sense. "Why? I'm a computer science-criminology major, not a biology major. I applaud every biology major out there, because this is literal hell."

Nathan chuckles, and then takes out his worksheet to do some more problems before he decides to call it a night when it comes to studying. "You know my biology teacher is actually a chemistry major? Yeah, he minored in biology."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Well, that's ironic. That's more ironic than Mason telling me that I shouldn't minor in math, even though that's literally what he did."

Nathan scoffs. "I don't even know what I'm going to do after high school. I should have some sort of idea, but I don't know. How did you find out, Ashmita?"

I sit back down at the table, and kind of lean in to address Nathan wholly. "Nathan, you're a freshman. You have way too much time on your hands. I only figured out around junior year what I wanted to do with life, and that's because I went to Mason's office to see what the jazz was about his workplace. Trust me, you'll find that passion. Give it a bit of time. And don't worry, not everyone has to do computer science. I had a friend who did it because he wanted to please his parents, ended up hating it, and then switched to accounting. So, don't do it because someone is pressuring you. Because you'll end up regretting it in the long run."

Nathan nods, and then Mason comes in from the kitchen. "Yeah, don't. My mom wanted me to become a doctor, and I said no. I became a software engineer. Just don't major in math. It's torture."

Nathan giggles a little bit, while I smile as well. Then, my phone buzzes, and I pick it up to look at the notification. It's an email notification, and it's in regards to the paid scholarship at Facebook that I've been worrying about for weeks.

I immediately open the email, and check what's inside. I scroll, and then the email says, "Congratulations! You've been selected to intern at Facebook. You will start in the New Year We look forward to working with you."

My mouth falls open at the email, and then I look up. Mason just looks at me, with a slightly curious look on his face. "You okay, Ashmita?"

I give him a warm smile, and say, "Mason, I got the internship!"

His mouth also falls open, and he says, "Ashmita, are you serious?" I giggle a little bit, and nod.

He walks over to me, and then throws his arms around me in a huge hug. "That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" he squeals, as I hug him back.

I feel so proud of myself at this moment. A Facebook internship is so hard to get, and I had worked my butt off for something like this. I guess good things really do come with hard work.

But also, I'm relieved. Even though Mason had been telling me not to worry about it, I still wanted it badly. I stressed about it a lot, and I finally got it.

Nathan comes over and joins in on the hug. "Great job, Ashmita!" he says, in a happy tone, which contradicts how tired he's been feeling.

Sarah comes down from upstairs, like she can almost sense the celebration from 50 feet away. With an expectant look on her face, she comes to us and says, "Did Ashmita get it?" I look at her with a big old smile, and then she comes in to join the hug. We all hug each other and just rejoice over this new step into something great.