Chapter 22: Canyon Moon.

A/N: sorry this chapter is shorter I just didn't feel right adding anything else! I've been updating a lot lately ahhhh!!!! I'm just really invested in this right now(:

EL'S POV:

I've spent a good bit of time alone since we got here, and it's been by choice. I love it here, I feel one hundred percent myself, and I am one hundred percent okay feeling that in these moments. My parents called, they wanted to say hi to Harry, and they wanted to ask me about Cancun, how the trip was going. It didn't even upset me to talk to them, and that's because I'm too happy here, living in a new reality. I went on a hike yesterday, and I don't think I've ever seen such beauty, and tonight I've got a plan considering it's our last night before we start filming. We will be filming the next two nights, and the second day of filming we've got some daytime filming, but lucky for us everything is at night meaning our days can be full of whatever we want. Full of hikes, laying on the beach, reading, and eating fruit, and drinking fun beach drinks.
"Hey." I pop into the room, and Harry is pulling a towel away from his hair.
"Where have you been?" He asks me, and the sun is sinking already.
"I went on a walk, and had a drink with Helene, and Kate. I will be buying a house here when I'm fat and old." I tell him, and throw myself on the bed. He smiles, pulling clothes over his body. "What did you do today?" I ask, and he shrugs.
"Jeffrey, and I went over everything for the video, and then we talked about my birthday, and if I was going to celebrate with Glenne again." He tells me, and I nod.
"Are you? Your birthday is coming up, so it's definitely something to think about." I tell him, ignoring the fact that my birthday is only three days after his. He doesn't know that, and he won't know that if I can help it.
"My birthday isn't as big a deal anymore now that I'm older, so I told him sure, that it didn't bother me either way." He tells me, and he's talking to the choir, birthdays are completely overrated. "You know what else is coming up?" He asks, and I shrug. "Valentines day." He tells me, and I groan out.
"You physically cannot make me do anything, I refuse." I tell him, and he groans in response, sitting on the bed next to me.
"Come on El, let me take you out... Why do you hate it so much?" He asks, and I give him a side look.
"I've told you... You know exactly why I hate it. It's a pointless holiday, and there are plenty of better things to worry about... I know something we can worry about." I tell him, and he rolls his eyes, shaking his head.
"I will be taking you out, even if I have to pull out an old move, and trick you into it." He mumbles.
"We should be worrying about getting our shoes on. Come on, let's go." I tell him, thinking about the sights I saw yesterday, and ignoring the thoughts of Valentines day, and being back in the city.
"Why should we be worrying about that when we have no plans for the night?" He asks me, but grabs his shoes anyways, and that's something I love about him. He questions me sometimes, but he's always on board.
"You didn't have plans for us, but I did, and you don't get to know them, trust me, and I'll take you on an adventure." I tell him, putting on my tennis shoes from christmas. I'm wearing leggings now, and a tighter cropped shirt, standing in the doorway now.
"Am I going to regret saying yes to this?" He asks with a smile, and I shake my head.
"The exact opposite, come on! Adventure time, you take forever." I groan out, and he hasn't let the smile slip from his lips. He follows me out the door, and I grab my purse as we walk down the stairs, and the keys to the single car we have here. "I hope no one needs the car, because they cannot have it!" I yell out, and Jeffrey looks over the back of the couch.
"Where are you going? You two have had enough time in the sun." Jeffrey is on guard now, worrying for Harry's skin, and my sanity.
"If you haven't noticed....the sun is no longer a problem, and I'm not telling you where we're going either. Stop being such a dad." I laugh, and Jeffrey looks to Harry who just shrugs to him. "Okay, we're wasting daylight, let's go dude." I start walking, and he jogs after me.
"Did you just call me dude?" He asks, and I shrug.
"It just happened, would you rather me call you dipshit?" I ask, and he shrugs.
"I'm used to it." He jokes, and I walk around the car, rolling my eyes at his remark. I did call him that a lot on tour. We climb in, and I start the car, pulling out of the large driveway. "Remember when I was the one pulling you out of the hotel, or the house to force you to come on adventures with me?" He asks, and he situates himself in his seat, smirking as he looks forward. He drums his fingers quickly on the dash, and lets the smirk crack into a smile. "Oh how the tables have turned." He boasts to himself.
"Adventures are fun, and exciting, but this isn't an adventure for me, I've been here before, you haven't... I could be leading you to your death, and you'd never know." I joke, and he furrows his brows at me.
"You would never." He says it with confidence, but I shrug.
"You underestimate me way too often." I joke and he shakes his head as we drive. I go the same route I did, but when I get to the trail center, I drive in the direction of the signs, canyon access, knowing I hiked here yesterday, but I don't want to waste time with that.
"Where in the world are you taking me?" He asks, paying attention to his surroundings now.
"None of your business." I tell him, and he scoffs, looking at me with a smile still.
"I think it is my business considering I'm actually fearing you taking me to my death now." He tells me, and I roll my eyes.
"You're going to ruin the adventure if you keep asking about the adventure, can you just shut it?" I ask, and he closes his mouth, giving me a side glare as I pull around the winding roads. We pull up, and there are trees blocking the view of what we're here for. "Let's go Mr. Twenty questions, you'll get all your answers soon, but first!" I get out of the car, and walk to the back, grabbing a blanket, and pointing to his guitar for him to grab.
"Eileen Mae Montgomery...." He stops, and he has a shocked expression with a hint of a smirk. I shrug, and look at him with questioning eyes. "Are you taking me on a date?" He asks, putting a hand to his chest, and I roll my eyes, closing the trunk, and walking around him back to the front of the car, and past it.
"Yes, I'm the romantic type if you haven't been able to tell from the past year." I joke, and he scoffs.
"The romantic type but won't go out with their boyfriend on Valentines day." He remarks from behind me, but I ignore him, and start skipping to the break of the trees.
"Look how magical." I open my free arm up, and do a spin around, looking at the beauty of the place we're in now. "I hiked here yesterday, and I had to bring you, and I know it's dark but if you look over there you can see the water from the canyon... I was going to take you today, but then I got sidetracked, but... but we can look at the stars, and you can sing if you want, and we can listen to the water, and watch the moon." I tell him, feeling excited for this. He's following along, and I unfold the blanket, and spread it out on the ground, looking around me as I do.
"Are we even supposed to be here this late at night?" He asks me, and I shrug.
"It's not that late, and who cares either way... We are here, and it's just us, and I set up a date that wasn't even planned to be a date, and you're going to love every second of it." I inform him. He sets his guitar case down, and I sit myself on the blanket, watching him do the same thing.
"El, this is beautiful." He's looking around now, and though it's more beautiful in the daytime, it's still pretty now. The water below us is reflecting the stars, and the moon, and there's the slight chirp of crickets all around us. I'm looking up right now, looking at the stars, and that's when I hear the soft strum of a guitar.