Chapter 14: Hold On As Tightly As You Held Onto Me

Tuesday~

"Our next task will be what I mentioned on our first training session, which is to find out the maximum amount of time Shinso is able to keep his target under his Quirk's control. This is important information to know if, for example, you are in a situation where you are alone and have a villain under your control. You must be aware of how long your Quirk will work so that you can take into consideration whether or not you have enough time to transport the villain to a police station or for backup to arrive. You will be using your Quirk on Midoriya for as long as you are able to this lesson. Alongside this, you will also be giving him instructions in your mind, rather than verbally."

Shinso nodded. He had often wondered how long he could brainwash someone for but had never been able to test it out. Turning to Midoriya, their eyes locked he asked, "Are you ready?"

Izuku nodded his head confidently, not showing any hint of hesitation or reluctance, "I'm ready!"

It was still beyond Shinso as to why Midoriya was so eager to be his guinea pig. At least he knew they were both benefitting from the training; he had noticed Midoriya excitedly jotting down notes after each lesson. He pulled his phone from his pocket and set a timer in synchrony with activating his Quirk. Hitoshi adjusted what he now liked to call, the 'settings', so that Izuku would be conscious of his surroundings and would be able to remember everything.

"What is the longest amount of time you have ever used your Quirk for?" Aizawa questioned.

"It must've been at the sports festival, so...Probably about twenty minutes."

"We will exceed that score today. Your goal is to keep it up for two hours. So that you're not just sitting there, practise giving Midoriya orders without speaking verbally."

Shinso nodded and looked at Izuku. He breathed steadily and tried to give him a mental command, 'sit down'.

Nothing.

He gritted his teeth, 'sit down!'

The boy didn't move a muscle.

"I don't think this is going to work," Hitoshi muttered.

"Keep at it. There must be some sort of mental connection between your target and yourself; I am sure that if you put your 'mind' to it,  you will be able to do it."

"Did—did you just make a pun?"

"I'm going to sleep. Keep trying until it works and wake me up once you've completed it." Shota crept inside his sleeping bag and shut his eyes, turning away.

Hitoshi sighed and continued to give mental instructions. After twenty minutes of trying, Shinso sat down and thought. There must be something he was missing. Maybe he was trying too hard? Maybe he was treating this as if he were giving a verbal instruction, so instead, he needed to focus on their 'connection' or whatever. Closing his eyes, he relaxed, trying to focus on the mental connection. 'Sit down'. He opened his eyes to see Midoriya sitting cross-legged on the floor. "Aha! It worked!" Shinso exclaimed, jumping to his feet. "Dad, I did it." Eraserhead gave a small grunt from inside his sleeping bag, fast asleep. Too scared to wake Aizawa in his deep sleep state, Hitoshi decided to carry on. He tried repeating what he had done to make it work the first time and ordered, 'Stand up and open the window.'

Midoriya did as he asked.

Shinso tried various different tasks for the boy to complete until his headache grew so bad that he had to sit down and close his eyes. "C'mon, I can do this! The more I work at it the longer I'll be able to do this for."