I Mean What I Say

Light poured into the simple room as dawn broke. While the beige walls called out to make the room look plain and boring, there were simple touches of pastels and cutesy characters throughout the room. Pastel pens colored the oak desk besides the window. Pastel green and pink notebooks with tabs sticking out the sides and animal designed sticky notes piled the desk, as well.

  As the morning light spewed onto the pink cover and duvet, a certain young teen began to wake. The comforting, familiar smell of sandalwood wafted into her nostrils and her eyes slowly peeked open. She squinted in the light, desk coming into view. Where was that smell coming from, she wondered.

  As ______ sat up, she groaned a bit and felt something soft and wooly beneath her hand. Grabbing it and bringing it into her view, she tilted her head. A...scarf? Not her's. That's for sure. It was a cream scarf with a light shade of dark green for stripes.

  "Where have I seen this—"

  "______! You have a guest!"

  "J-Just let them in! I-I just w-woke up," ______ called back to her older sister. ______ wrapped the scarf about her shoulders, and rubbed her head as she tried to collect her thoughts.

  "It's Saturday. Yesterday...I was with Hiroomi-senpai," she mumbled. "I-I went on a date w-with H-Hiroomi...!"

  As her whole face lit up with a pink blush, her door opened. She practically snapped her neck in that direction at the sped of light and when seeing who it was, nearly fainted. The boy she had just mentioned.

  Hiroomi smiled that warm, protective smile as he closed the door behind him. "Morning, ______. I know it's bad manners to see your date so soon, but I wanted to check on you. Last night, you seemed to be catching a cold on the way to your place."

  "I-I'm fine!" she shrieked as Hiroomi sat besides her on the edge of the bed.

  "I also see you've taken a liking to my scarf. You're more than welcome to keep it. Hm, hm," he chuckled. It was far too early for this. He's so close. "You look cute with it."

  In an instant, ______'s face went from a gentle pink to a fierce red when Hiroomi leaned a bit closer. She attempted to lean a bit back but hit the headboard.

  "Relax," Hiroomi cooed. He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and smiled that warm smilw again. He leaned back a bit, returning her space immediately after. "You truly are the cutest, you know that."

  "H-Hiroomi, y-you don't h-have to say these th-things if we aren't in p-public."

  "I want to. I mean what I say."

  "A-HEM!"

  Both teens immediately jumped, looking to the doorway where ______'s older brother stood. He had a pan in his hand and he did not look too ecstatic upon seeing the two.

  "H-Heisuke..!"

  "Who the hell are you?" he demanded, pointing the pan at Hiroomi. Hiroomi immediately stood up, bowing before Heisuke with a smile.

  "Nase, Hiroomi. Friend and coworker of ______."

  "Nase, eh? Don't think that means you get any special treatment, you hear me."

  _______ quickly stood up, grabbing Hiroomi's arm as she was a bit wobbly. "Heisuke, b-be nice. H-...Hiroomi – Hiroomi's a really nice guy."

  The poor guy nearly passed out. She was so cute in her pajamas that were a pastel green, lil frogs scattered about on them. ______ was truly the most precious thing he had ever seen.

  Heisuke growled at Hiroomi a bit before sighing. He always had a weak spot for that puppy dog of a little sister, and if she was fine with the boy, he could stay. For now. "Fine," he groaned. "Are you staying for breakfast?"

  "If you'd have me."

  "No!" ______ piped up. She was not in the mood to let her siblings rip apart this boy. Her sister would never let him leave if she got talking. "W-We'll be going out. Th-Thank you, though, Heisuke."

  "G..Going out..?"