Chapter 7

The next day, Bella and Brianna were leaning against her truck, waiting to board the bus. Some of the junior class was taking a field trip to a greenhouse. "You're friends with the Cullens." Bella said. "Do you think there's something weird about them?"

"Yeah." Brianna typed. "But I have no room to judge them. People think I'm weird."

"There's just something odd about them." Bella said. "Please tell me you saw Edward push that van away with his bare hand."

"Yeah." Brianna typed.

"And there's no way Edward and Alice could have gotten to us that fast when they were across the lot." Bella said.

"I agree." Brianna typed.

"When I asked Edward about it at the hospital, he just said I was confused." Bella said. Brianna nodded.

Just then, Mike approached them. "Look at you." Mike said to Bella. "You're alive."

"Yeah." Bella said.

"So, I was wondering if you wanted to go prom together." Mike stuttered as he looked at Bella. But Bella wasn't paying attention to him. She was too busy staring at Edward. Brianna could tell that Mike was clearly trying to ignore her. She just rolled her eyes. Brianna nudged Bella's shoulder.

"What?" Bella asked, snapping to attention.

"Do you want to go to prom with me?" Mike asked again.

"Oh uh dancing. Not such a good idea." Bella said. "But, I can't. I'm going to be in Jacksonville that weekend. I'm visiting my mom."

"You can't go another weekend?" Mike asked.

"Non refundable tickets." Bella said.

"Oh." Mike said, sounding disappointed.

"You should ask Jessica." Bella suggested. "I heard she really wants to go with you." Mike looked at Jessica, who smiled and waved at him.

"Come on, let's go." Mr. Molina said. "We gotta go." Brianna got on one of the buses. She sat next to Bella, took a book out of her bag, and started reading.

A little bit later, everyone was walking through the greenhouse. "What's in Jacksonville?" Edward asking, coming up behind them.

"How do you know about that?" Bella asked.

"That doesn't answer my question." Edward said.

"Well, you don't answer any of ours." Bella said. "I mean, you don't even say hi."

"Hi." Edward said.

"Are you going to tell us how you stopped the van?" Brianna typed on her tablet.

"Yeah. I had an adrenaline rush." Edward explained. "It's very common. You can google it." All of sudden, Bella slipped and Edward caught her. "Would you at least watch where you're going." Edward said, annoyed.

"Sorry." Bella said.

"Listen, I'm sorry I'm being rude." Edward said. "It's just."

Just then, Jessica appeared. "Bella." She said. "Mike asked me to prom."

"That's great, Jessica." Bella said.

Brianna rolled her eyes. She always found Jessica to be annoying because of how much she gossips about people, and because she makes fun of her a little bit. But she didn't have to act like she wasn't standing right there. Brianna cleared her throat to make herself known.

Jessica looked at Brianna. "Oh. Hey Brianna." She said, less than enthusiastically, before turning back to Bella. "But yeah, I really thought he was going to ask you."