Chapter 20

A month went by, it was the middle of July. Brianna woke up and headed downstairs. Her dad was getting better and he was back working at the station. Although, he was only doing desk work.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Scott greeted as Brianna walked into the kitchen.

Brianna waved to her dad. "What's for breakfast?" She typed.

"French toast with scrambled eggs." Scott answered. Brianna nodded. She grabbed orange juice and poured two glasses. She set the glasses on the table as her dad put everything else on the table. They both sat down and started eating.

"I'm excited for dinner tonight." Brianna typed. Since they weren't able to go out to dinner for her birthday on the actual day, Scott was taking Brianna tonight.

"I wanted to talk to you about that." Scott said.

"Don't tell me we're not going." Brianna typed.

"No. That's not it." Scott said. "I was thinking we could go for lunch instead of dinner."

"Why?" Brianna typed.

"Well, since you didn't really get a party on your birthday, I was thinking we could have one tonight." Scott said.

"What if I don't want a party?" Brianna typed.

"You used to love having birthday parties." Scott said. "And I'm not hurt anymore, so you have no excuse."

"Alright, fine." Brianna typed.

"Good." Scott said. "Because I already told your friends that there was going to be a party tonight." Brianna glared at her father, who was just chuckling. "Why don't you wear the dress that Alice gave you for your birthday." Scott said. "You looked really nice in it."

"So, where are we going for lunch?" Brianna asked.

"I found this nice restaurant in Port Angeles we could to." Scott replied.

"Ok." Brianna typed. She helped her father clean up breakfast.

Later that afternoon, Scott and Brianna were driving to the restaurant in Port Angeles.

When they arrived at the restaurant, Brianna saw Carlisle. "What are you doing here?" She typed on her tablet and showed it to him.

"Your father invited me to join you guys for lunch." Carlisle said as he kissed her on the cheek. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"Thank you." Brianna typed. She then looked at her father.

"I wanted to surprise you." Scott said.

Brianna was a little surprised, but also grateful that her dad invited Carlisle. He still wasn't ok with her being with Carlisle, but she was glad he was trying. The three of them walked into the restaurant and and hostess brought them to a table.

After a little bit, they all had their food and were eating. "So, my daughters said that you're having a birthday party for Brianna tonight." Carlisle said.

"Yes." Scott said. "Your family's welcome to come."

"We wouldn't miss it." Carlisle said.

"I'm sorry that Alice's party got cut short." Scott said.

"She understood given the circumstances at the time." Carlisle said. "How are you doing, by the way?"

"Better." Scott answered. "Thank you."

"No problem." Carlisle said. They continued to eat. "I'll be right back." Carlisle said, after a few minutes. "I'll need to make a quick phone call."

"Are you ok?" Brianna typed on her tablet.