Chapter 8

A couple days later, Brianna woke up to the cold wind blowing into her room. When she sat up, she noticed her window was open. She went over to it and closed it. Brianna didn't know why it was open because she didn't open it last night. Over the past couple of days, since the accident, she felt like she was being watched. The first night after the accident, she had woken up in the middle of the night. She thought she had seen a glimpse of blonde hair, similar to Carlisle's, outside the window. But when she looked again, there was nothing there. She thought she had just imagined it. Brianna started getting ready for school. She changed into a blue sweater with grey jeans and black converse shoes. She picked up her bag and made her way downstairs. When she walked into the kitchen, her father was in there eating breakfast.

"Good morning, Brianna." He greeted her. Brianna waved to her father. She went over to the counter, grabbed a bowl from the cabinet, and poured herself some cereal. She joined her father at the table and started eating. "How are you this morning?" Scott asked.

"I'm doing good." Brianna answered. "What about you?"

"The same." Scott said.

As Brianna ate, she got a text from Bella. "Bella's here." She typed.

"Ok. Bye sweetie." Scott said. "I'll take care of your bowl."

Brianna waved to her father as she slung her backpack over her shoulder and walked outside, getting into Bella's truck. The drive to school was quiet.

In History, Brianna wasn't paying attention to the lesson. She was too busy thinking about Carlisle. She hadn't been able to stop thinking what he said the other day. Why would he feel protective of her. She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard Alice say her name and tap her on the shoulder. She saw everyone staring at her. Apparently, the teacher had asked her a question. He repeated the question. Brianna typed out her answer and gave it to Alice to read.

At lunch, Brianna was eating lunch with the Cullens. Once again, she wasn't paying attention to them and was thinking about Carlisle. "Brianna." Alice said.

"What?" Brianna typed, snapping to attention.

"We asked you if you wanted to go dress shopping with me and Alice for prom one day." Rosalie said.

"Sure." Brianna typed.

"What's with you today?" Alice asked. "It's like you're in another world."

"Sorry." Brianna typed. "I've had a lot on my mind."

"You're thinking of someone, aren't you?" Rosalie asked. Brianna blushed a little bit and nodded. "Who is it?" Rosalie asked. Brianna didn't type anything.

"Is it Carlisle?" Alice asked. Brianna looked at Alice, shocked.

"How did you know?" She asked.

"We see the way you act around him." Rosalie said.

Brianna blushed even harder, feeling embarrassed. Every time she saw him, she always got flustered and nervous. Even just thinking about him made her heat beat more rapidly. Brianna nodded. "Yeah. It's him." She typed. She felt embarrassed admitting this to his kids, who she was friends with.

"Well, if you want to know." Rosalie said. "He likes you too."

"He does?" Brianna asked.

"Yeah." Alice said. Brianna was surprised. She didn't get it. Why would he like a girl in high school when he was so much older. At least now, it made sense on why he felt so protective over her. Although, it also didn't make any sense. But then, everything about the Cullens didn't make sense. Just then, Edward chuckled. Brianna looked at him. It was as if he had heard her thoughts.

After school, Brianna was hanging out at Bella's house. They were in the kitchen, working on homework. "Hey, are you okay?" Bella asked. "You seemed out of it all day."

"Can I tell you something?" Brianna asked.

"Sure." Bella said.

"Just wondering. You aren't the type of person to get excited over someone liking someone else, are you?" Brianna asked.

"No." Bella said.

"Okay. Good." Brianna typed.

"So, you like someone?" Bella asked.

"Yeah." Brianna typed.

"Who?" Bella asked.

"Dr. Cullen." Brianna replied.

"Dr. Cullen?" Bella asked, in a slightly shocked tone. Brianna nodded. "I mean, don't get me wrong, he's definitely attractive and good looking." Bella said. "But, he's so much older than you."

"I know. I know it's weird." Brianna typed. "But, I haven't been able to stop thinking of him since I met him."

"I don't think it's weird." Bella said. "You should be able to like whoever you want without being judged."

"Can you not tell anyone? Everyone already thinks I'm weird because I don't talk. I don't want them judging me for this too." Brianna typed. "Plus, if my Dad found out, he would kill me and then Carlisle. And he would lock Carlisle up for being with a minor."

"I promise I won't tell anyone." Bella said. "Does his kids know?"

"Yeah." Brianna typed. "They actually told me today that he liked me as well."

"He does?" Bella asked.

"Yeah." Brianna typed.

"Wow." Bella said. Brianna nodded. The two of them continued to work on homework.

It was late afternoon. Carlisle was in his office, at the hospital, working on paperwork. Although, all he could think about was Brianna. He hadn't been able to get his mind off of her. Since the first time he met her, he knew that she was his mate. He loved everything about her. Over the past two months, he's tried to keep his distance from her, but he didn't think he could stay away from her anymore. Especially after her accident. Since then, he had been sitting on a tree branch by her bedroom window to watch over her while she slept. Usually, if she woke up in the middle, he would stay hidden so she wouldn't see him. But the first night, she had almost caught him. He knew it was wrong of him to watch her every night, but he needed to make sure she was ok and safe. Carlisle felt guilty that he was keeping a huge secret about him from her. It didn't feel right when he lied to her the other day. But he didn't have a choice. He had to keep what he was from her, not only just because it was a law in his world, but also because it could be dangerous for her if she knew. All of a sudden, Carlisle's pager went off. He tried to put Brianna in the back of his mind and focus on his work.