chapter twelve- the stone of embers

Kylo sat in his throne, crossing his right knee over his left. He thought of what had happened the night before- he and Rey had a force bond. It was odd- he and Rey hadn't experienced a force bond in a while.

"Well, it makes sense. It's not like I'm dead or anything," Kylo whispered to himself, thinking. He picked at his bottom lip with his thumb, going over the events of the previous night. He had connected with Rey at a party in Cloud City. He couldn't believe how a man had wanted her to do sexual favours for him in exchange for money- money to operate the Resistance.

Kylo easily would have given Rey all the money she needed. The First Order had more than enough money- granted, they spent a lot repairing the Finalizer after the explosion and the whole thing with Palpatine- but the First Order still had a lot of extra money. There was no way Kylo would give any money to Rey, though- not if it would help fund weapons and such for the very thing he wanted to defeat.

Kylo sighed heavily, recalling the details of the previous night. He hated how stressed out Rey was. He bit his fingernail, trying to think of something he could do for her. He hated seeing her upset. He didn't mind the way Rey ran and hugged him, though. That was one thing he could get used to.

Kylo ran his hand through his hair, thinking about how Rey and him had left it. Kylo shook his head at himself- he shouldn't have yelled at her. Even if it was true. He shouldn't have gotten up all in her face about the First Order always going to strike down the Resistance. It now put them in an awkward stage- what would happen when Rey and him connected next? Would Rey be angry at him for how he acted? What if she started screaming and yelling at him? Or even worse, stayed completely silent and pretended he wasn't there?

That would be torture.

Kylo bit his lip, worried. He could not let that happen.

The doors to the throne room opened and General Fritz walked in.

"General Fritz," Kylo stated, annoyance in his tone.

"Supreme Leader," General Fritz said, a small smile on his face.

"Why so smug?" Kylo asked, indignant, as he raised an eyebrow, waiting for General Fritz's response.

General Fritz cleared his throat. "The First Order is getting reckless and impatient," he said, his lips in a firm line. "They want to see the girl."

"Well, I cannot do that," Kylo stated simply. "Not at the moment."

"If not now, then when? The First Order wants to see the girl. And if you don't bring her here and show her to them, then the First Order will find her themselves," Fritz stated, warning Kylo. "And if they see that the girl is not in compliance with the First Order, they'll kill her themselves," Hux said gleefully, smiling broadly.

Kylo abruptly descended from his throne, slowly walking towards General Fritz. "Choose what you say next wisely," Kylo said calmly, even though his insides seemed like they were burning from lava.

"They'll track her down and kill her. It's not just a few people in the First Order, either. It's thousands," Hux replied, ecstatic.

Colour drained from Kylo's face. There was no way he could protect Rey from thousands of stormtroopers. Even if he was the son of Han Solo and Leia Organa, two legends, he could not protect Rey from this amount of stormtroopers. That is, If Fritz was telling the truth.

"There's no way. Stormtroopers are programmed to follow orders without question," Kylo said, trying to regain confidence.

Fritz smirked. "It seems there has been an awakening from your stormtroopers. They've begun to think for themselves. Some part of that speech you gave has woken them up." Fritz started chuckling. "And when they find the girl, and she doesn't declare herself with the First Order, they'll kill her," General Fritz laughed mockingly.