chapter thirteen- never be enough

Rey woke up, opening her eyes, focusing on the ceiling. She sat up and almost bonked her head on the bunk bed when she saw Kai leaning against the doorway, staring at her.

"Were you watching me sleep?" Rey asked, slightly creeped out at his antics. She got up and went to the built in mirror on the ship's wall, tying her hair into three buns.

Kai smirked softly. "Of course not. Poe told me to come wake you up. We arrived at Jakku," he replied smoothly, a smile playing on his lips. He tilted his head, waiting for her reaction.

Rey shook her head slightly, putting on her boots. She brushed shoulders as she walked past him, heading towards exit. Poe and Finn were there, duffel bags in their hands, a smile on Poe's face. "Morning, Rey," Poe said. "You ready to go?"

Rey nodded. She turned towards Kai, who now held a bag himself. "Let's go," Rey said, walking out of the ship. She stepped out to sand, just sand, for miles. She was met with the dry Jakku winds brushing past her face. Rey lifted a hand to shield her eyes. "You really want to train here?" she asked Poe.

Poe nodded. "It will prepare us so when we fight the First Order, we will win," he replied, staring at Rey with a knowing look in his eyes. If the Resistance wins the war, they would be free to settle down.

Rey avoided Poe's eyes. "Where are we making our base? And for how long?" she asked, changing the subject.

Poe furrowed his eyebrows, wondering what he did to put Rey off. "Um, we can set tents up wherever. When the people of Endor get here, which shouldn't be long now, we can pick a spot," Poe said, glancing at Rey.

"And for how long?" Kai asked, curious himself.

Poe shrugged. "However long it takes to train the people of Endor to become Resistance fighters. Maybe a week or two, since they are already fighters on Endor. This is the final battle. We need to beat the First Order," Poe said, now looking at Rey.

Rey averted her eyes from Poe, glancing at Kai. "Why do you ask, Kai? Do you have something to do?"

Kai shrugged slightly. "I have to go somewhere for a little bit. I need to get something. I'll be back soon, though," he said, making eye contact with Rey.

Finn narrowed his eyes. "Where are you going? What do you need to get?" he demanded, crossing his arms. Poe nodded, crossing his arms also.

Kai smiled innocently. "I know of a certain... weapon... that could be helpful to the Resistance. I can go get it, and meet you at the First Order when we battle them," he said.

"What kind of weapon?" Finn asked, crossing his arms in suspicion.

"Just some high damage bombs we can use to help us defeat the First Order," Kai lied. Kai was going to get some bombs, yes, but as a pit stop, after he got what he really wanted.

Poe raised his eyebrows. "Well, if it could help ensure that the Resistance will win, by all means, go get it. We will need all the help we can get to end the reign of the First Order."

Kai nodded, agreeing. "Let's find the nearest place I can buy a ship," he said, turning to Rey. "You know Jakku well. Where can I buy a ship?"

"If we walk long enough in one direction, we're bound to run into a town that has a chandler," Rey replied. "Pick a direction."

Kai looked around, taking in the warm Jakku atmosphere. He did a full 360, spinning around. "This way," he said, pointing behind them. Poe started walking in that direction, Finn following close behind. Rey trudged behind them. Kai slowed down to meet Rey's pace as they walked.