5 ~ Fight

Danielle's P.O.V

Minho, Newt and I danced for a while together while Gally went off to do the usual wrestles with the other gladers to 'assert his dominance and size' over everybody. The three of us got bored pretty quickly anyway, and wanted to watch the fun so we wandered over to the circle and took our places on the edge.

Gally had just finished another match and had sweat dripping down from his forehead, which did make him look a little appealing, but then I remembered that he was like a best friend to me, and I didn't see him that way.

"Dani, you want to see if you still got the power?" Gally shouts out to me from the opposite side of the circle, beckoning for me to step in. Thankfully, Newt's grip on my shoulder was tight and his embrace was warm, so I didn't want to leave it. "Why? You want everybody to see you cry like a baby again?" I quip, making him raise his eyebrows. "Come on then." He challenges. "Maybe another time Gal." I smile at him, which he ignores and continues to look around the circle.

"What about you Greenie? You fancy a try?" Gally asks Elijah, picking on the only person stupid enough to agree. "Not today Gally. I'm happy just watching." Elijah says politely, raising his hands into the air. "Why? Cause you're too pussy to do it?" Gally stabs, making the crowd erupt in a melody of 'ohhh's.

"No. Because I don't exactly think you want to be beaten by a Greenie." Elijah says cockily, but Gally cuts him off again. "Come on then. Let's see what you've got." Gally eggs, somehow convincing Eli to participate. Elijah steps into the circle and says something that we can't hear, and I see something snap inside Gally.

"Gally, go easy." I call to him, not wanting anything bad to happen tonight. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever Dani." He brushes me off, making me feel rather offended. I can't tell whether it's the anger flashing behind his eyes right now, but something is definitely there...

No. This is something else.

I clutch onto Newt's waist as the two boys in the centre of the circle start throwing punches, Eli landing a few good ones to the side of Gally's face, only to have Gally return them. The two stand in stance away from one another and Eli says something else, only to be shut up by Gally's fist colliding with the side of his temple.

Elijah staggers backwards, yet tries to hold his ground, though weakened from Gally's previous move. In a moment of weakness, Elijah lowers his hands a little, barely at all, but still enough for Gally to send another punch flying towards his face which makes Eli fall heavily to the ground.

"Gally!" I scream, noticing the blood start to trickle down the side of Eli's face from where he must've hit his head on a small rock. Gally doesn't listen, and becomes a predator standing above his prey, fist clentched ready to make Eli pass out.

I make an irrational decision and dart into the circle before Gally could deliver the punch to Elijah's unprepared body, cutting the swing off with my own.

I shove Gally's hand away and brace myself for the blow he will send to me next, making sure to punch him just as he let out a sloppy right-hook. "Newt! Get Eli out of this circle now!" I bark to him, lifting my arms to protect me from Gally's next blows.

Newt thankfully pulls Eli from the circle, giving me enough room to dip down and have Gally trip over my back. I didn't think it was going to hurt me in turn, but boy was I wrong. As Gally's weight fell over the top of me I managed to slip, twisting my ankle into something sharp on the floor and rippling pain through my body.

But I have to ignore the pain and control Gally right now.

So, once I know he's on the floor behind me I whip around and jump on top of him, so that my legs are straddling his chest and my hands holding his above his head so that he can't move. He starts to struggle beneath me, wavering my balance a little as I take in his intoxicated breath. But thankfully Alby and Minho come to my rescue.