18 ~ Melissa

A/N: Oh my god I hate this chapter so much! Just like with the plan chapter, I wanted things to happen but I think they happened way too quickly and not in the right way and that things just weren't explained at the right times! So apologies!

Aimee and I worked quickly and quietly, making sure the cantine was empty before sneaking into the kitchens and starting to raid the pantries.

"Grab everything you can..." I whisper in the darkness, my crying seeming to have ceased with the reassurance that we were speeding things up. A tired mumble answers me. "We can't take everything Dani. We need to take enough that we will all survive on for a few days as long as we ration properly, because if we take too much then your mum and the guards will notice how much is gone and will set up a search for it." Aimee responds.

I nod my head, though she can't see me, and continue to pick up ration packs and novelty foods that none of the guys in The Glade had had in a good while (just like I hadn't). I made sure to pick up a bunch of plastic water bottles and a few medicine bottles, which from what I could see in the light, were labelled supplements and nutrition which I knew that both I, and the Gladers would need to get to a somewhat healthier weight and proportion again, due to the sparse and out of date food we were given in The Maze.

"Do you know what the time is?" I whisper shout to Aimee, who was on the other half of the kitchen. "Um... Not sure. I left my watch on my bedside table." She whisper shouts back, trying to keep her voice as hushed as possible. "It can't be that late... I would say around 4 maybe 5? What time was it when you left your room?" She continues, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"There aren't clocks in neither the hospital rooms nor the monitor room remember." I laugh light-heartedly, the action feeling a little forced against my aching heart. "Oh yeah..." She laughs back, going back to scanning the shelves for anything else we may need for our journey to wherever this rebellion group is.

I start to look through my jam packed bag to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything, when the answer to Aimee and my question became apparent. The sudden noise of growing voices was coming straight towards us, and Aimee and I only had a split second to look at one another and duck before the owners of the voices came into the kitchen.

"So, I'm making a slightly bigger breakfast this morning because you feel guilty about sending Thomas into The Maze today?" A stern, feminine voice asks, rounding the corner closest to me. I watch as the shadow grows nearer to me and start to crawl across the floor towards Aimee.

I dart round the corner and startle Aimee, slapping my hand to her mouth as quickly as I can so that she doesn't give away that we were out of bed. "No, not because I am guilty about sending him into The Maze. It is a neccassary move I need to make to get us closer to the cure. I'm guilty because I'm not only taking one of my daughter's best friends only a few days after she has woken up and started to integrate into the facility again, but I'm also taking away one of the most important people to Teresa. I need to make up for that as I need her on my side as much as possible."

Fuck. My mother.

This situation just went from bad to worse.

"Ok. So am I making different food or just making more of it?" The other woman (who's voice sounded too familiar, yet I couldn't place a name nor face to it) asks with an annoyed tone.

"That's your decision. I just needed to tell you to do something extra before you started making breakfast." Ava responds, the sound of her clacking heels heading away again.

"That is all. I shall see you later this evening." She finishes, the doors being pushed open a few moments later. Paige's heels clack away into the distance, leaving Aimee and I alone with this woman who had no idea that we were only a few metres away from her.