15 ~ Breakfast

Dani's P.O.V

Aimee leads me through the familiar, yet unfamiliar, corridors of the WCKD facility, talking about a whole bunch of nonsense that I think she knew I wasn't paying attention to. Who can blame me though..? I've got a lot to be thinking about...

"The others should already be here." Aimee tells me as we near the cafeteria doors, hearing chatter from the people enclosed. "You ready?" She asks me gently, placing her hand on my shoulder. I take a deep breath and nod my head, knowing it was a complete lie but also knowing if I turned back now then the likliness Thomas and I will be able to execute our plan before it was too late would be almost impossible.

Aimee pushes the cafeteria doors open and walks in, sticking to the left wall as she joined the queue for food. I stood frozen in the doorway as everyone's eyes stared at me, the room falling into an amazed silence quickly.

It felt weird knowing all these people knew me, and had most likely been watching me in the Maze for quite some time now. Some of them I recognised, either from how close they worked with my mum or having worked with them myself. And then other people I had no recollection of. Those people (the ones I didn't know) I knew had heard of me. They had either heard that I was Ava Paige, big boss lady's, daughter or they knew I was the only person to have ever been transferred out of the Maze.

I shuffle under their prying eyes and will myself to follow Aimee, but the constant stares made me want to run in the complete opposite direction. But to mine and Aimee's surprise, the young girl had happened to be wrong when she said that Teresa and Thomas were already in here. Instead, they happened to be moments behind us, and now right by my side.

"Come on, ignore them." Thomas whispers into my ear, placing his hand carefully on the small of my back to push me forwards. I let him guide me into the queue behind Aimee as he continues his statement. "When we all found out that you were being brought back here, us three weren't the only people happy about it. I think that you'll find that most the people in here were against your mum's plans too. The only people who weren't excited were the people that haven't met you before. They are staring because they can't believe that somebody would be allowed back here after being in the Maze. They see you guys as inferior, test-subjects, another species to human, and I wouldn't put it past them to discriminate against you purely because you were in The Glade. But seriously, don't take it personally. Like I said, they don't know the real you."

I give Thomas a light smile at his compliment, and turn to Aimee, who was already piling food onto her plate. My eyes travel over to the amount of food that lay in front of me, my mouth salivating immediately because I had only ever dreamed of having so many options in front of me after I went to The Glade.

A small chuckle leaves my lips as I start to grab at everything I could reach, the different foods reminding me of the Gladers. "Eat this for them, Dani." I told myself, "Soon enough they'll be able to have all this for themselves. Enjoy it now, for them."

So, I grabbed 3 slices of toast for Newt, 2 portions of bacon and an eggs for Minho, I grabbed a spoonful of scrambled eggs and threw them onto one of the slices of toast for Gally, grabbed 2 sausages for FryPan and two spoonfuls of baked beans for Alby. By the time I had finished piling everything high up onto my plate, the other three were staring at me, chuckling away. "What? I'm hungry..." I mumble, walking away from the trays as Thomas lead the way across the cafeteria to a table.

Our old table.

The same table we always used to sit at when we were younger, and had many more friends to us.

"Alright then Dani. Let's see if you've changed that much. What on your plate would the boys usually eat in the Glade? And what of it would you normally eat yourself?" Teresa says as she seats herself beside Thomas, their hands brushing against one anothers in a meaningful way. I sigh and smile at her, hating the fact that despite me being away for two years she still knew me too well.