23 ~ Monitors

Dani's P.O.V

I run the whole way to the monitor room and when I get into the room itself and slump down in my chair, my whole chest was heaving with some sense of freedom. Whether it was from getting everything off my chest, or from actually getting to run without a solid purpose, I don't know, but the feeling was liberating.

Aimee giggles at my mind-controlling smile and rests her chin on the palm of her hand, watching me as I leant my head back and took long, staggered breaths. I chuckle a little myself once I've caught my breath back, and lean forward to take the bag off my shoulder and place my dinner on the desk to the side of me.

"Guessing you got everything then." Aimee smiles, gesturing to the bag that was now underneath the desk alongside the other couple of bags Aimee and I had smuggled earlier this morning. I smile back and nod my head eagerly, cracking open the tub of what seemed to be either butter chicken or chicken korma and stabbing my fork into one of the pieces of chicken. I place the fork into my mouth and melt at the taste, letting out a gracious hum of enjoyment as I mentally thank Melissa for making me take the meal with me.

I catch Aimee watching me from the corner of my eye and wink to her, turning around again to face her. "What's the fascination?" I ask her smugly, feeling so much lighter without all that emotion weighing me down. "I'm just wondering what took you so long. And I'm also still enjoying you migrate back into the society again." She answers, making me raise an eyebrow at her while I stab a chip and eat it.

"Every meal time or time we are around a piece of equipment you stare at it in awe and admire it while you remember how to use it properly or what it tasted like before. It just makes me feel fuzzy seeing you happy again, and not being deprived of things. Especially now that you know Newt, Elijah and all the others are getting out too." Aimee answers, a sheepish smile lighting up her face as a blush dances over her cheeks.

"Awh, Aimee. This is why you are my best friend and unrelated little sister." I coo at her, opening my arms to her for a hug.

Wow. I really did feel much happier then before.

Aimee takes it gratefully and stands up afterwards. "Right, all soft moments over. I'm hanging, so can I please go and get some sleep before we run for our lives tomorrow?" She asks, a small chuckle slipping from her throat in the middle of her sentence. I laugh a little too, and nod my head. "Yeah, sure. See you at breakfast." I tell her.

Aimee waits for a second, a smirk growing on her cheeks as she stayed in her place, an idea running through her head. Suddenly, she grabs my loaded fork from my hand pops it into her mouth, clearing it before pulling it back out and wiping the small amount of lipgloss she had left on it.

My jaw drops as she holds the fork out for me to take again, a smug smile fitting perfectly on her mischievious squint. "You bitch..." I murmur, only earning a giggle from her as she swallowed the mouthful. "Love ya!" She calls out as she skips towards the door and lets herself out, leaving me to stare at the spot she was just in in amusement.

~~~~~

The hour while I finished my dinner, I repacked each of the 3 bags with the essential items we would need. I divided all the food and water even amongst the three bags so if we were to get lost while we were out there then we would still be able to survive while we tried to find the others. I made sure to label my own bag before putting my newfound tablets and pills into the side pockets so that I would always have my own essentials on me too.

After I had finished all that, I placed the bags right against the wall underneath the desk and moved towards the door, deciding against leaving the room tonight and instead dimming the lights.