25 ~ Run

Dani's P.O.V

The three of us sit quietly in the monitor room as we watch Alby, Thomas and the other keepers talk to all the Gladers in front of the Maze, preparing them for the large run they were going to take from now.

After 10 minutes of them all taking a turn to talk, Thomas finally turns to the beetle blade and takes a deep breath. "I guess now is as good of a time as ever. Get going Dani, get to the exit and we will meet you there." Thomas says, looking directly into the beetle blade before turning to the Gladers and nodding his head, shouting, "Let's go!" before jogging into the Maze with the whole Glade on his tail.

I take my own deep breath and look at each of the girls, nodding my head as I stand up. "What he said." I say, pointing to the emptying monitor. Both girls follow my lead and stand up, then we all walk out of the monitor room, making sure to get one last look before walking down the corridors.

We knew we must've looked stupid for carrying these backpacks with us when everything we would ever possibly need was in practically every room we came into, but nobody questioned us about it regardless.

To our fortune, there weren't too many people walking around the corridors at this time of the morning because people would be at their jobs, which meant we were able to make it to the restricted door of the east wing of the facility without any of the guards stopping us. We slip out of the door quickly and take a deep breath of our newfound freedom once the door is closed.

Like I had expected, when we actually looked at where we now were, we were stood in the middle of a curving hall. From what I had researched of the blueprints a few days prior, Paige and the rest of her proteges called this place the ring, simply because the whole of this corridor was shaped in an oblong/irregular circle. It was all one long corridor with only 3 doors coming off of it. The first door being the door that the Gladers would come out of, the second door being the one that we had just come out of (both of which could only be opened from the inside) and the final one being the one that lead to the exit.

"Which way is it?" Aimee whispers to me, staring down both ends of what seemed to be a neverending tunnel. "From what I saw on the blueprints, the door should be to the right." I return, nodding to the two girls before we break out into a jog.

The three of us jog at a speedy pace, turning slightly to the left so we would naturally follow the large circle this place was shaped as.

The only thing that was keeping me from losing it right now was that I knew within the next few hours I would be with Newt again, and he wouldn't be likely to do anything stupid then which calmed me down so much more.

After about a mile, I start to slow down again, my body reeling at the distance we had just ran. It was barely anything, especially in comparison to what Minho and I would run inside the Maze, but I felt like I could barely go on without having a small break.

I take deep breaths and slow down to a stop, placing my hands on my knees as I tried to regulate my breathing again. "Dani? You alright?" Teresa calls to me, a few metres ahead of Aimee and I, who had come back to my side. "Yeah... I'm- fine..." I say between breaths, feeling tired.

"We shouldn't be running this Dani. We need to slow down and just walk there. The boys won't get there before us I promise, but we need to slow down for you." Aimee tells me sternly, rubbing her hand over my back as she knew exactly what was wrong. "No, Aims I need to run this. If I can't run this then what am I going to be like outside of here? It matters then, not now. So I need to get used to it sooner." I say defiantly, trying to push away the nausea feeling.

"What aren't you talking about Dani?" Teresa asks, listening in to what Aimee and I had been saying. "It's noth-" I start, but Aimee cuts me off with a shake of her head.