17 ~ Letters

Despite Thomas wanting for me to not tell Aimee our plan, I still told her and like I suspected she was more than willing to help.

"So, you spoke to your mum earlier about..?" She asks, after I had finished explaining the whole plan to her. "When I'm being sent into The Glade." Thomas states nonchalantly from his chair, where he hadn't moved since I got up to listen to Alby, Gally and Minho.

"And?" Aimee asks, turning her head from Thomas' figure. My smile falters as I look down to the floor, both sadness and happiness filling my body. "They're taking you tomorrow afternoon." I tell him, watching him closely as his face drops a little and he gulps. "Ok, we can work with that. We just have to get the serums today, write the letters and find an easy way to hide them on me."

"I'm already one step ahead of you. I asked T for two more of the serums and just told her that my memories were fading. And as for hiding them on you, we won't have to hide them all that well as I told Ava that if she wanted you to go to The Glade without a fuss then I would have to be the one to administer the serum. I'll have a guard making sure I actually take away your memories, but hopefully he will be far enough away that I will be able to give you everything you'll need to go into The Glade."

Thomas seems somewhat impressed by my improvisation of the plan, and smiles at me. "So all we have to do is find a way for you three to get out undetected and make your way over to the final corridors where hopefully The Gladers and I will meet you. And of course Dani you have a few letters to write." Thomas states, making me nod my head and look to Aimee. "Can you help Tom find us an easy way out while I write these. I need to make sure Newt gets my message and that Alby and Gally see that they need to trust the guys." I tell her, and she happily nods her head.

"Here, I keep a stash of paper in here for when I get bored. And from when T and I composed that letter for you the day you left." She tells me, opening the drawer beside her to pull out a stack of paper and a pen. I take them gratefully as Thomas switches the monitors screens to show the inside of WCKD, and move myself to the small table in the corner of the room.

Thomas and Aimee's quiet conversation fills the silence besides the sound of my pen scratching against the paper, and it didn't take me long to write the three letters I needed to. One happened to be considerably longer than the other two, but that was because it held a lot more meaning than the others, and I was happy with that.

I fold the pieces of paper in half and tuck them into my back pocket, moving across the room again so that I was sat beside Thomas.

"Hey, you two don't need this monitor right?" I ask them, pointing to the monitor that was directly in front of me. They shake their heads and go back to studying their own screens, as I change the monitor from the WCKD facility to a map of The Maze.

I lift the final piece of paper up to the screen and grab my pen, the paper being thin enough to still see the screen perfectly behind it. My face lights up with a smile as my idea worked, and soon enough my pen is scribbling over the piece of paper again, tracing the outlines and corridors of tomorrow's Maze as perfectly as I could.

"Now that is a smart idea." Thomas breathes out from behind me as I pull the paper away from the screen and admire it. "I know right. How didn't we think of doing that before?" I ask him, grabbing the coloured pen and pulling the lid off of it. "I'm not sure. And I'm not sure how we would have survived without it." He chuckles, leaning forward to watch me colour a pathway from the entrances to The Maze to the nearest Griever Tunnel.

Once I am finished, I fold the paper and hold it out for Tom to take, but he shakes his head. "It's probably best if you keep a hold of that. Just in case I lose it or if the guard searches me before I go into the box." He chuckles nervously, and I nod my head understandingly. "That's probably for the best."