Chapter Seven

Before I knew it, my parents had to head back home to Kentucky, leaving me in New York City by myself once again. The thought was bittersweet, and I honestly wasn't ready to let them leave.

"Don't be a stranger," I said, as I walked them to the front door of my apartment, embracing them both in one last hug before they walked out into the hallway. They turned around and whispered  "don't you be a stranger either" before walking out of the building.

I walked back into my apartment and began to clean up a bit before my boyfriend Max comes by. He had texted me right before my parents left to let me know he would be coming by to visit, since he didn't get a chance to see me the night of graduation.

After I had time to straighten up my apartment and myself up a bit so that I didn't appear to be a total mess, a knock came from the door. I opened it to see Max standing there in jeans and a white t-shirt, holding a bouquet of roses and sunflowers, while pushing his bottom lip out in an "I'm sorry" gesture. His ragged hair was all over the place, but that just made him more handsome.

"Can I come in?" He asked, while leaning on the doorframe, and handing me the beautiful bouquet of flowers.

I gestured for him to come in as I walked over to the kitchen to place the flowers into a vase. He made his way to the living room and took a seat, while patiently waiting for me to come in there.

"I am so sorry I couldn't make it to your graduation last night. Work kept me late and I didn't notice the time until your graduation had already ended."

By this time he looked like he had to plead for my forgiveness. I slowly sat down on the couch beside him and put my hand into his, while looking into his eyes.

"I'm not mad. I understand you have your own work to do," I whispered, as I placed a soft kiss upon his plump lips.

The look of relief washed over his face. He no longer had that worried, yet almost constipated, look on his face. He quickly had a look of love and happiness upon his face.

"I know you wanted to finally tell your parents about me so they could have a chance to meet me in person. I also wanted to do this last night."

He pulled out a little silver box from his jeans pockets.

"Blakely Ann Evans, we have been together for a year now, and while that may not seem like a lot of time to some people, it has felt like a lifetime to me. I want to live the rest of my life with you and grow old together. There is no other person in this world that I want to go through life with. Will you marry me?"

I stared at him in shock before catching my breath and responding with a "yes", as he slipped the diamond ring onto my ring finger.

I was in a state of shock. I couldn't believe that that just happened. I'm officially engaged to the man I love.

I walked into the kitchen to prepare to make us a little lunch that we can enjoy over Netflix. We stay true to the words "Netflix & chill."

What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the flood of words that would come spilling out of Max's mouth next.

"So, I received a call from a law firm in Seattle saying they took interest in me, and wanted me to come and work for them. They think I would be a great asset to their team. But I haven't told them anything yet. I'm not sure what I should do."

"I think you should do it. Especially if it's a better job for you than the job you currently have."

I couldn't believe what he had just told me. I am not exactly sure what he should do, but if it's something he wants, I won't stand in the way of that. But I hope he doesn't expect me to pick up and move with him. I have my own career right here in New York.