CHAPTER FOUR

"I heard what happened to your boyfriend," Stefan breaks the silence as we near the campus

"Yeah, it's awful," I mumble, "But I have the start to a lead, and I'm gonna bring him back."

"Bring him back? With what, a witch? Last time I checked Bonnie's gone for awhile and I don't think you're close with any other witches." Stefan reasons, a bit harshly.

"You don't need to worry about it," I sigh, "I'll figure something out."

"Good luck." Stefan turns off the car, stepping out while I follow.

"Why'd I have to come with you, anyway?" I ask, as I see my sister walking down the sidewalk, well, more like running, towards us.

"Stefan? Emmie?" Elena pulls me into a hug first before hugging Stefan, "I was using that payphone over there to call Damon when I saw you guys."

"I know you're upset that I didn't call, so I just wanted to apologize in person." Stefan claims.

"Never do that again, okay?" Elena sighs, "I thought something terrible happened to you."

"Well, something terrible did happen to me. You fell in love with my brother." Stefan states, and I immediately start to cough, holding my hand over my mouth.

"Ouch," Elena looks down at the ground, ashamed.

"Can't blame me for needing a little bit of space." Stefan smiles at me before looking back to Elena.

"I know," Elena nods, "Where did you go?"

"Oh, it's not important. I'm sure Damon will fill you in eventually." Stefan mentions.

"You talked to Damon?" Elena questions, "Because I just spoke to him, and he didn't really say anything."

"Oh. Weird." Stefan motions to me, "He didn't say anything to Emmie, either. Maybe he has his hands full with the whole, you know, Jeremy situation."

"What Jeremy situation?" My twin and I ask in sync.

"Oh, it's not a big deal. Jeremy got expelled." Stefan informs us.

"Expelled!?" Elena exclaims.

"No, yeah, that's kind of a big deal." I add, rubbing my forehead.

"Yeah, and then he and Damon got in this fight, and then Jeremy bolted-"

"Wait, how do I not know about this?" Elena questions.

"Me either. Did I really sleep through all of that?" My eyes widen as I look to Elena when she starts to talk again.

"Where the hell is Jeremy?" Lena quizzes.

"That's why i'm here. I was hoping maybe you'd know." Stefan explains.

"What about me? You could have asked me." I cross my arms against my chest.

"You were hungover, and sleeping, I just assumed you wouldn't know." Stefan reasons.

"Still." I whine.

"Do you?" Stefan turns his body fully to me, already knowing the answer.

"No..." I trail, pursing my lips.

|

We were all walking and conversing, I wanted to go to the boarding house, check on Steve and tell him what's up, but something inside me told me to stay, like I couldn't leave Stefan's side.

"Why are you so worried about him?" Lena questions, referring to Jer.

"Damon made a mess, and I want to clean it up." Stefan answers.

"Did he really think that we weren't gonna find out?" Elena scoffs.

"It's Damon. Are you surprised?" Stefan shrugs.

"I just figured we were at a place where he wouldn't have to lie to me," Elena sighs, "Sorry. I, uh...I probably shouldn't be talking about this with you around."

"It's ok," Stefan smiles gently, "I know exactly what you're thinking."

Those words sends shivers down my spine, the way he said it just felt so weird. At that moment, someone passes by Stefan, someone I've never seen, handing him a envelope.

"I saw h-" Before they could say anything more, Stefan cuts them off.

"Thank you. You can go now." They looked out of it for a second, but then went back to walking.

Stefan opens the envelope, looking at the paper inside.

"What is it?" I ask, peering over Stefan's shoulder.

He quickly shoves the papers in his pocket, "Sorry, I don't mean to cut this short, but someone said they just saw Jeremy on route 9. Do you two know where he might be going?"

Elena thinks for a moment, before realizing, "Route 9? I mean, there was this old camp site that the three of us used to go to when we were kids."

"Ah," Stefan nods, breaking eye contact with Lena.

"Wait, who gave that paper to you?" Elena questions, furrowing her eyebrows.

|

Stefan had dropped me off at home, and I quickly went inside, feeling off about this whole situation. Stefan didn't feel like Stefan to me, there was just something missing.

"Steve!" I yell as I close the huge door behind me, "We need to catch up on finding Billy."

I was met with silence, the only noise being the wind softly blowing the heavy curtains over the windows.

"Steve?" I call out, making my way upstairs, "Seriously, you can't still be asleep."

I push open the door, but Steve wasn't snuggled into the comforters like I expected, he was nowhere in the room at all.

I checked the bathroom and the huge closet, but he wasn't around. It took me awhile, but I did indeed check the whole house, maybe he was listening to his mp3 player while exploring, who knows, it's Steve we're talking about here.

He was gone, and I was getting anxious.

I try calling Elena and Caroline's door room, but no one picks up.

I snatch a pair of car keys off the side table-I didn't know whose they were, and I didn't care either. I sprint out the door, and to the only car parked in the drive way.

I start the engine, and it chokes. Fuck.

I try again, and it works, the engine shaking the creaky old car. I was about to put the car into reverse, when the door whips open, and I get pulled out.

A wet cloth goes over my mouth and nose, and I begin to see spots, right before I black out.