CHAPTER FIVE

My eyes slowly open, and I take in the world around me

I was sat in the passenger seat of a car, my hands were tied together and there was a cloth stuck in my mouth.

Outside it was dark, not like it was before I was kidnapped. The car was nearing the woods as crickets chirped.

Sitting in the drivers seat was a smiling Stefan, tapping his fingers against the wheel to the beat of the soft song playing on the radio.

I let out a muffled screech, thrashing around in my seat.

Stefan turns, "Oh, you're awake."

He takes the cloth out of my mouth, and I yell, "Stefan? What the hell? Where are we going? What are you doing?"

"Shh, calm down." Stefan tells me, and I obey, my nerves calming, "We're going to find your doppelgänger."

"Katherine? Why?" I question as the car comes to a stop.

"She has something I want. Now come on, let me see your hands." He untangles the rope used to bind my hands together, and I move my wrists around, hopping out of the car, "Stay quiet."

We walk around the dark woods for awhile, before I see the back of someone's head, and a small lantern.

"Not a word out of you," Stefan orders, and the man turns around. Now that I could see his face, I realized it was Matt, "You can't talk, you can't scream."

"Yeah," Matt furrows his eyebrows, "Actually, I can. Jeremy, run!"

"Jeremy?" I shout, about to run when Stefan grabs my wrist, pulling me back beside him.

"Why can't I get inside your head?" Stefan grumbles, taking a few steps toward Matt before grabbing onto his head, lifting him in the air, "Now I see why. Somebody's already in there. Why are you watching me, traveler? Odpovezete Mi!"

"Hey! Stefan! Let him go." I try to grab onto his arm, pulling him back. But it's vampire against a human, we all now how that will end.

Stefan lets him go, just not in the way I hoped. He snaps Matt's neck like a twig, letting his body fall limp to the floor.

"Oh my god!" I scream, falling on my knees in front of Matt's deceased body, "No, no, no."

As I lay down next to him, I see his hand, which had a Gilbert ring placed perfectly on his finger. I huff out a sigh of relief, as I get yanked off the ground.

"Come on, be quiet now." Stefan demands as he drags me behind a tree.

I watch in silence as Jeremy comes jogging out from the trees, crouching down next to Matt.

Stefan pulls me with him as we appear out of the dark, "Now, if my best friend died, I'd at least pretend to cry, which leads me to believe he's not actually dead."

"Emmie?" Jeremy gasps as he watches me with confused eyes.

"Yep, this is your sister alright," Stefan points to Matt, "I take it that tacky ring somehow protects him."

"Too bad you can't get inside my head to find out for sure. Hunters perk." Jeremy smirks.

"Heh. See, that's what you don't get. When I can read your mind, I at least have use for you, like your sister here," Stefan pinches my cheek, and I scowl, "Now, I'm just gonna kill you."

"You can try, but none of your abilities work on me. So right now, you're nothing. Slower then a vampire, weaker then a vampire," Jer reaches down, picking up an axe, "I on the other hand am a hunter. Plus I work out."

Jeremy flings the axe at Stefan-who I am pretty sure is not actually Stefan-but he ducks, dodging it. My brother grunts as he lunges at not Stefan, pinning him against a tree.

They continue to fight as Jeremy discreetly tells me to find Katherine. I stand there for a moment, telling myself not to leave Jeremy, I can't have another person I love die. But Jeremy yells, and I obey, racing deep into the woods to find my doppelgänger.

I see her, stumbling through the dark with a loaded gun in her hand. And there was someone else, standing next to her.

"Steve?" I question, my eyes widening.

"Emmie?" Steve asks in disbelief.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I quiz.

"Well your brother woke me up this morning, told me I had to help him and his other friend, Matt, find this chick." Steve motions to Katherine, and her and I share a glance.

Katherine licks her lips, "Where's Jeremy?"

"Over here, over here." I usher the two quickly to the spot where all the commotion was. Jeremy was on the ground, and not Stefan was holding the axe now.

Katherine shoots, and the bullet sinks into his skin.

"I thought you said you didn't know how to use that." Jeremy pants as I help him off of the ground.

"I figured it out," Katherine shoots not Stefan once again, as Jer scrambles to pick up Matt.

|

Matt was laying on the bed of his truck as the rest of us wait for him to wake up.

"So you're telling me that thing ring can bring him back to life?" Steve repeats, staring at the ring in awe.

"Well, if he dies at the hands of the supernatural," I add.

Matt's body shoots up, and Steve backs away from admiring the ring.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Katherine...greets?

"What the hell happened?" Matt asks as he sits up.

"Yeah. Silas killed you, tried to kill me, then-" Jer starts.

"I shot him." Kat boasts.

"It was actually pretty impressive." I add, and Katherine shoots me a smile.

"So we're even, no more whining," Katherine pulls him off the truck, "Lets go. Silas won't be down for long."

As we waited for Matt to wake up earlier, they had filled me and Steve in on what's going on. Silas, Stefan's doppelgänger, is an immortal who can manipulate people's minds. Freaky.

"Hey, I left the hatchet I'll be right back." Jeremy says as he walks into the woods.

"Jeremy, you don't need the stupid hatchet." I call, but he ignores me.

I pull Steve into a side hug, sighing before we both get in the car.

"You know, your town is pretty fun." Steve says sarcastically.

"Very."