Part Ten

Alwyn didn't know how long the darkness surrounded her, hours, day, weeks. She seemed to float with no sense of direction. Bits of muffled conversations reached her ears and light flashed before eyes occasionally. She tried to move or open her eyes but her strength had fled her. Alwyn decided to focus hard on the voices and eventually she started hearing words. Stable. Unconscious. Dead. Dead?! She wasn't dead and the only other person could be.... Kylo. He couldn't be dead. She refused to believe it. New found strength flooded her veins over her worry for Ren. Alwyn's finger twitched causing the voices around her to go silent. More of her hand started to move and her eyes flew open. Bright white light flooded her visions making her squint until they adjusted. When she could finally see, Alwyn saw the surprised faces of two nurses and Hux. Alwyn tried to speak but started coughing terribly. A nurse ran to grab her a glass of water and helped her prop up to drink it. Hux moved to sit on the bed and grabbed her hand.

"Kylo. Where is he?" Alwyn grew nervous when Hux sighed.

"He's alive." Hux sounded disappointed, "He's fairing better than you actually, but he won't be for long when I get my hands on him. What was he thinking taking you with him?! I knew he was stupid but to actively put you in danger-"

"Hux!" Alwyn patted his hand, still not having much strength, " I wanted to go. I needed to get the experience. I can't always fight Kylo in the training room."

"Like heck you can't." Alwyn ducked her head. Hux sighed.

"I'm not mad at you. You just don't realize how close you came to dying. By the time your ship arrived you had lost so much blood, the doctors didn't think you would make it through the night. I was terrified that I was about to lose my best friend." Alwyn gave him a small grin.

"I'm your best friend?" Hux laughed.

"You're my only friend, so yeah." Alwyn grinned but she could feel her eyes getting heavy. They must have her on strong pain medication as she could barely feel her toes. Hux noticed this and set her hand back down.

"Get some sleep," he smiled gently at her, " I'll be right here." She shut her eyes and right before she drifted off she heard him say "I won't let anything happen to you again."
—————-

The next day Alwyn awoke with her entire body throbbing. The nurse told her that Hux had waited until he had no choice but to report back for duty. Alwyn appreciated him so much and she made sure to remember to do something nice for him when she was back on her feet. A nurse came in to check her stats and Alwyn decided to get some answers.

"How long was I asleep?" The nurse looked up briefly.

"About a week." She couldn't believe it. A week.

"And Kylo Ren? Is he still in recovery?"

"Yes. He is in the room across the hall. He wanted to leave as soon as he awoke but he would have only caused more damage to his wounds. Much like your situation. You will have to stay here for the next few weeks." The nurse left and Alwyn devised a plan. She trusted the nurse but she wanted to see Kylo with her own eyes. Alwyn decided that she would sneak across the hall, check on him and be back before anyone noticed. She just had to make sure he was okay. Alwyn threw back the blanket, removed the IV from her arm, and swung her feet over the side of the bed. Her middle screamed in pain but she pushed through it. Walking was hard after being in bed for so long and she stumbled a bit but made it across he hall. She opened the door and saw Kylo on the bed with his eyes closed. His face was cut up but he looked much better than the last time Alwyn saw him.

"Leave the tray on the table." He said with his eyes still closed. He must think she was a nurse bringing lunch.

"No food, just me." Kylo's eyes snapped open as he sat up quickly. His gaze settled on Alwyn and he scanned her up and down. She took a few wobbly steps toward him and he jumped up and moved to her. Alwyn looked into his eyes and saw so much worry.

"You didn't listen to me! I told you to go back to the ship. To leave me! You almost died because you disobeyed orders!" Alwyn did not expect this harsh tone. He was scolding her for saving his life!

"If I had left, you would be dead! I couldn't do that!" She raised her voice to match his. Ren moved closer.

"You should have. I gave you an order." He snarled down at her. Alwyn moved closer and stuck a finger in his face.

"You may not care much for your life but I do! I was not going to leave you to die! I care about you whether you like it or not so don't lecture me about not following orders! I don't give a rat's butt about following orders if it means saving your life!" He glared at her in shock and scoffed.

"Well that's a big surprise. I doubt you would listen to orders even if someone's life wasn't on the line!" His tone was dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh so now you're the one who's sarcastic hmmm?"

"Sarcasm is the body's natural reaction to stupidity!" That one hurt. Alwyn looked down, tears in her eyes. She cared about him enough to get shot and he didn't seem to care at all. All he cared about was that she had disrespected him. She felt lighted headed, but she brushed it off.

"If that's how you feel, then I'll just go." She turned to leave but her steps faltered. Alwyn could feel her face draining of color and she swayed on her feet. Kylo's eyes went from angry to panicked as he looked down at her stomach. Alwyn followed his gaze to see a patch of red quickly spreading across her white gown. She must have reopened her stitches during the argument. Alwyn felt herself begin to fall but instead of hitting the ground she landed in Kylo's arms. He pressed a hand to her wound as he frantically called for a nurse. Alwyn felt her eyes growing heavy but she tried to keep them open.

"Stay awake. Just kept your eyes on me. You're going to be okay." Alwyn tried but her eyes fluttered shut. "Alwyn! No. No. Open you eyes! Please!"

———————————-
A/N
Cliffhanger........ thanks for reading! As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated!❤️