Prologue

She was eight years old.

This girl was lonely. No siblings. No friends. No one else to play with her.

Rover was the only one who she thought cared about her, and liked her. He was a beautiful brown and white Jack Russel with the cutest puppy eyes.

But he didn't want to play today. He wanted to lie down, soak up the last of the summer sun. This angered the girl; the sun was shining which made it the perfect time to play outside. But the dog wouldn't budge.

She tried everything. Poked it, prodded it, tugged at its ears, legs and tail. But nothing seemed to work.

The girl decided to try one last time to get Rover to come and play with her.

She grabbed him by the neck and pulled as hard as she could. Rover didn't like that. He opened his mouth to reveal a set of small but sharp teeth and sank them into her arm.

She cried out in pain; anger welling up inside of her.

It was in this moment that the girl realised if she wanted to cure her pain she would need to eliminate the thing that caused it.

Snap.

Her parents came running outside and saw Rover's lifeless body sprawled across the grass.

They were crying and screaming, desperately trying to find help.

But the young girl didn't feel anything at all.