Chapter Four ~ Confessions of a serial killer

Entry 1 (Subject P) ~ A Musical Crescendo (5th March)

She was sitting on the bed nearest the window. She had obviously just woken up, her hair was messy, she had no makeup on. I edged closer behind her. My hand was wrapped around a piece of sheet music. Requiem by Mozart. The last piece of music he wrote before he died. It was perfect.

My grip became stronger as I came closer to her. The strength of my hand began to slightly crease the paper. I knew I had to act fast as the sun was rising and people would be coming soon.

I was about a metre away from her now. Just on the other side of the bed. I rolled the paper up into a tight tube. It was time.

Time for her to die.

I launched myself at her. Wrapped the sheet music around her neck. She was startled, shocked. She pushed me back. Until we were both up against the door. Kicking, punching, she was trying everything. But I had her, my grip was too strong.

She was running out of breath. Gasping for air, her face was turning bright red.

She stopped fighting. Her arms fell beside her. Her heart had stopped beating. I let go and she fell. She lay on the carpeted floor just to the right of the door.

That was it. It was done.

No turning back now.

I finished the chapter, in shock. There was no way I had written this. In fact, I was shocked that someone had. I took a deep breath and composed myself. This was a work of fiction; it wasn't real.

I turned over the page, expecting the story to continue. But the next pages were blank. I frowned. I figured it might be worth taking this book home; no one needed to see it. In fact, I doubted anyone would buy it. This would save Carol some hassle later.

"Carol," I started. She popped her head out from behind a bookcase. That was weird. I could have sworn she was sitting in her office a minute ago.
"Yes dearie?" she asked helpfully.
"I'm done with the books, I thought I could go on my lunch break."
Carol smiled. "Of course dearie. Just put the 50 pence box on that shelf over there and you can go."

I headed over to my dorm to grab some spaghetti hoops for lunch. Hopefully Piper won't be there - I wasn't in the mood to argue with her again.

But then again, I still felt bad about arguing. I didn't think she deserved it but it was probably worth apologising to her.

The birds were tweeting happily as I strolled through the park. The sun was persistently beating down and I revelled in the heat. I enjoyed this weather which was so infrequent here. I was beyond hungry and desperately needed some spaghetti hoops. Heinz by far made the best ones! I also like to eat them on toast.

But as I headed up to the dorm, something was off.

The door was open.

We never leave the door open.

I edged closer to the door, not sure what to expect.

I certainly didn't expect to see Piper lying on the floor with her eyes wide open.

I also didn't expect to see a copy of Requiem by Mozart lying crumpled up next to her.