Chapter Twenty ~ The Fall

Skye hasn't changed at all, Nelly thought as she wandered back to her hotel room. She's just as annoying as she was back in the day. The faint outline of the Blue Hill Hotel was visible in the distance. It was by far the tallest building in the village. Nelly quickened her pace and reached the hotel lobby. She waited in the lift which took her up to the sixth floor, the highest floor in the building. Her room was the first door on the left; she flashed the keycard and the door opened with a quiet beep.

The first thing she noticed was that the window was open. She hadn't left the window open. Someone was in the room with her. She stayed quiet and still; quickly surveying the area. The only places someone could be hiding were under the bed, in the bathroom or in the closet. She tackled the bathroom first as it was the closest. Nothing. The bathroom was tiny; just a toilet, sink and a shower stall. Nelly relaxed slightly. Next, she threw open the closet door. Again, nothing there but her clothes. Nelly's heart began to beat out of her chest as she approached the bed. She glanced around the room nervously, wondering if she should grab something to use as a weapon, just in case. Nelly shook her head and pulled the bedsheets up. There was nothing there.

Nelly laughed at herself. She was just being paranoid. Just because the window was open, that didn't mean someone was actually in her room. They could have left already. Or maybe no one actually came and the wind merely blew the window open. Still, it was strange.

She thought it might be worth investigating anyway and edged closer to the window, before sticking her head out the window. How would anyone be able to climb this high up? That's how she knew no one was here. It would take an absolute ninja to scale this building. She took some time to appreciate the view of the village. It was pretty dark but she could make out the faint lights of the various buildings that lined the horizon.

She didn't get to enjoy it for very long.

Suddenly, she was falling. Falling through the cold, dark air.