Chapter Twenty Eight ~ The Last Murder

Skye was certainly an interesting character, Sandra thought. There was something off about her. Something she was holding back. Sandra didn't want to diagnose her with any mental disorders yet as she didn't have all of the facts. The best thing she could do was link the scraps of information that Skye had given her. She had an imaginary friend when she was younger. That was a tell tale sign of mental instability. She had a dream that she was the one who killed her friend Piper. Dreams often signify thoughts which are embedded deep within a person's mind and cross their conscious frequently. And she had a book with details of all of the murders that had transpired. Something about that seemed really weird. If she didn't write it, why would it reappear in her house everyday without her noticing it? And why would this person use her name?

Sandra wasn't a detective. She knew she couldn't solve this puzzle. It was just impossible. And yet maybe that was the answer.

Sandra's eyes snapped open. Of course it was impossible. No living person could sneak into someone's house every night just to leave a book there. Why wouldn't they keep the book themselves? To frame someone? It was all so tangled up. What did it all mean; the book, the dreams, the mental instability?

But then it all made sense.

A sickening realisation swept through Sandra's head. She ran to get her phone and call her friend Steve who worked for the police. The murderer must know that I know, Sandra thought. That means they'll come after me. So if the police arrive whilst the murderer shows up to kill me, then they'll finally catch them.

All Sandra had to do was wait. Sure enough, she heard a quiet crash in the reception. They're here, she thought. Sandra ducked behind her desk and held her breath, waiting.

The door handle clicked. She could hear the soft thump of footsteps making her way towards the desk. The murderer had arrived. They were clad entirely in black, their face covered by a black sleeve. But Sandra knew who it was. And she wasn't afraid.

The murderer inspected the office, until they looked over the desk. All of a sudden, they jumped over the desk and wrapped their hands around Sandras neck. She tried to scream but her airway was blocked. She felt herself sinking into darkness. This was the end.

But then, the sound of glass smashing brought her back to reality. Steve was here, along with the entire police force. The murderer tried to run away but they were too slow. Steve tackled them to the ground and put them in cuffs. That was it. It was all over.

"You are under the arrest for the murders of Piper Redwood, Savannah Smith, Arya Brown, Scarlett Williams, Logan Wilson, Tyrone Woodburne and Nelly Caprice, as well as the attempted murder of Sandra Leeds. Do you deny it?"

The murderer shook their head. Steve pulled them back up and their hood fell down, revealing their identity.

Steve continued, "You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions but anything you say may be used against you in a court of law."

I was right, Sandra thought, as she stared into the eyes of the murderer.

It was Skye Witherdale.