Chapter Twenty One ~ How much is too much?

I ran home, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. I wiped them away hastily and made it back to my room. I went straight for the book which was exactly where I had left it, hidden next to the wall where my board of evidence lay strewn across the wall. I went to Subject T; who I now realised was Tyrone. I could now add him to the wall.

But as I turned the page, I noticed another entry. A new one. Feeling curious, and rather concerned, I read it.

Entry 6 (Subject N) ~ The Fall (19th March)

There's a saying: Knowing what's right doesn't mean much unless you do what's right. The way I interpret it is if something is ruining your life and the lives of others around you, the right thing to do is get rid of it. This applies to Subject N perfectly. All she does is talk. Blah blah blah. I don't think I've ever heard a nice word escape her lips. She takes pride in hurting others, myself included. So getting rid of her is the right thing to do.

I know where she's staying. In the blue hill hotel; the tallest and fanciest building in the whole village. Some say it's the most perfect building in the village. However it has one major flaw that comes in the form of a man named Terrence, the security guard. He is absolutely terrible at his job. It was too easy for me to tell him that I had lost my room key and needed a replacement. He gave it to me with no questions asked.

I headed up to her room and opened the window to make her go over to it. In the meantime, I hid in the cupboard under the sink. Somewhere I knew she wouldn't look. Now all I had to do was wait. But I didn't have to wait for long though.

I heard her enter the room and search the bathroom. As I thought, she didn't look in my hiding place. I bided my time and listened close as her footsteps travelled further into the room. Eventually, they stopped. I risked peeking out of the bathroom door and was delighted to see that she took the bait. I acted fast.

I snuck up behind her and in one swift movement, gave her an almighty push. I watched as she fell to the floor and landed with a rather loud splat.

This time I felt as if I had accomplished something. I had rid the world of one more evil person. And in doing so, I had made it a better place.

I felt disgusted. This person spoke as if they thought killing people was the way to rid this world of evil. But then a more pressing thought came to my mind. Who was Subject N. It mentioned they were a she, so who did I know that was a girl and had a name beginning with N?

Nelly.

Maybe she was a horrible person, but no one deserves to be killed for it.