Chapter Thirteen ~ Carol Livingstone

I arrived at the shop with 10 minutes to spare. Surprising, I'm not normally early. Again something was different. I could hear Carol but she wasn't in her usual spot, opening up the cashier.
"Carol?" I called out, wondering where she was.

As I edged closer to the back of the shop, I could hear lots of voices. This was strange, the shop was usually quiet at this time in the morning. I entered the staff room and there was Carol sitting at the table looking as white as a sheet. She was surrounded by police officers, one which I recognised: Inspector Steve.

"What's going on?" I asked with a slight panic in my voice.
"Oh, dearie have you not heard? That boy Logan has been murdered."

I stood still and tried to comprehend what I had just heard. I was speechless.
All I could say was "what?"

Inspector Steve said "Mrs Livingstone found the body inside his house. We are asking her a few questions. Did you know the victim?"
"We spoke a few times, I guess" I said, trying not to sound too surprised.
"Oh Skye dear, I think you should just go home. I know this has been a shock to everyone."
"Are you sure?" I asked.
"Oh yes, yes" she said, "Once I've answered these questions I'll just lock up. I'm still feeling quite shocked myself."

"Ok," I said as I raced out the door. Desperate to get home and check the book.

***

I got back home in about 10 minutes, out of breath and sweaty. I ran over to my desk, sat down and opened the book to the next page.

Entry 4 (Subject L) ~ The poisoned pizza (15th March)

I've committed 4 murders now, I'm up to some serious business.

I followed him home after Football training, back to his house.

Beforehand I had anonymously called up the pizza company and told them to deliver the pizza to his address: 32 sunset walk. Now all I had to do was put the poison in.

Once I had made sure he was alone in the house and up in his room I waited until the delivery man came. I'd dropped a 5 pound note on the floor and I was sure he would stop and pick it up. Sure enough as the delivery guy pulled up, he saw the money, parked his bike (leaving the pizza) and walked over to take a look. I had taped it to the floor, giving me more time.

As he walked over I ran towards the motorbike which had been left running. I opened the pizza lid, poured all the contents of the poison bottle in and ran back to my safe hiding place in the bushes.

Just as I got back, the delivery man gave up on the money and walked back to his bike. Turning off the engine, picking up the pizza and walking down the drive towards the front door.

This was too easy!

I watched them talk for a while, he looked quite sceptical about taking the pizza. But eventually the delivery man put the box on the ground and walked back to his bike. He started the engine and drove off. Sure enough he eventually picked up the pizza and took it inside.

I knew it was only a matter of time before he was dead.