Chapter 5

"Yes Catherine, I know, " Jane answered, her head still resting lightly on Catherine's shoulder.

Catherine was about to respond but was postponed by an obviously distraught Anne Boleyn morosely shifting into the lounge. Along with Cathy wearing a look which screamed concern.

"Jane, can I talk to you?" Jane looked up at Catherine Parr who then made it obvious that what she needed to declare was urgent.

Jane pushed herself up and followed Cathy into the kitchen, on edge about what Catherine was going to say.

While Jane and Cathy got on well, they never spoke about very serious things, like whatever was about to be said, apart from the affair a year and a bit ago.

"Up there..." Cathy stared up and took a deep breath, unsure of how to approach the situation, " Anne had a second or two of a relapse, " Utterly horrified, Jane rose a hand to cover her mouth. The woman she loved was slipping back into a state of hating herself - and Jane couldn't see why. To her, Anne was perfect. She was beautiful, intelligent, caring, funny, only lacking one quality: self-respect. And Jane was adamant to change that.

In a desperate attempt to prevent Anne from doing anything irrational, Jane left the kitchen and went to where everyone else was, including Anne.

Jane entered the living room to find Anne sat cut off from everyone else, on the floor.

Ignoring her feelings for the younger queen, Jane decided to do what was best by Anne.

"Anne, you want to come and sit with me?" Jane spoke, sitting down on the opposite side of the sofa to Anna of Cleves and Katherine, allowing some space for Anne to come next to her if she desired.

The green queen replied with a simple nod, before getting up and seating herself directly next to Jane. Willing to be a shoulder to cry on, Jane wrapped her arm to round Anne's neck, hoping to provide a modicum of comfort.

In response, Anne snuggled close into Jane, confirming that Jane's actions brought solace to her.

"Please don't leave Jane, " Anne murmured, so only Jane could hear.

"I won't Anne, don't worry, "

The two queens remained in this position both wishing that it could be permanent.