Chapter 6

As the sun rose the next morning, Anne laid awake. Wishing to be held by Jane the way she was last night. Her warm nature forever protecting Anne from all evil in the world. Her soft tone preventing violent thoughts from entering Anne's mind. Her kind heart to love her when no-one else would.

Anne pondered over asking Jane out. She desperately wanted Jane to love her as much she loved Jane herself. And when she thought over the entire matter, she had nothing to lose. However, one thing stood in Anne's way. Rejection. One word could send Anne back to where she was a year ago.

Grudgingly, Anne reached over to turn her bedside lamp on. She didn't want to have to start a new day. She wanted to go back to last night, and press pause on her life.

Opening the curtains, Anne gazed outside. She folded her arms and rested them on her empty window sill, immersing herself in the breathtaking view. The early mornings were always the most beautiful ones, the sun breaking through the horizon, dispersing so many comforting colours.

Anne stayed there for a few minutes, taking herself away from her situation and placing herself far from her own danger, before backing away from the window, grabbing her sketchbook and heading downstairs.

Reaching the end of the staircase, Anne realised that she was the only one up. Well, she knew Jane was awake because she heard her, but presumed she'd retreated back to her room. As much as Anne wanted to, she found herself deciding against going back upstairs to find Jane. It just wasn't going to bode well, especially if she was going to ask Jane the thing most playing on her mind.

In an effort to pass some time, Anne headed into the kitchen, to make a cup of coffee. If Anne needed one thing in the mornings, it was coffee. Taking her personalised mug out the cabinet, Anne started the coffee machine, placing a cinnamon pod inside.

Once her morning coffee had been made, Anne took it into the living room, and sat down. Placing the cup on a coaster, she opened her sketchbook to her most recent bit of artwork. It was a recreation of a photo of her and Jane laughing from their holiday in Paris a few months back. It was beautifully set, with the Eiffel Tower in the background and the two ladies laughing over something.

She planned on giving it to Jane for Christmas in the upcoming months, but came to the conclusion that if she asks Jane before hand - and if she says yes - she'll give it to her then.