15

A/n: Hello! I'm sorry for the long wait- I'm preparing to start updating more regularly now.  I've come to terms with the fact that, whatever awaits for me when I get my GCSE results this year will be and I can't change them at this point. But now I no longer need to revise as much (although I am prepping for my A-Levels) I have much more spare time on my hands. And that means I can write once more!

This chapter is a bit strange to be honest- it was very weird to write but I really enjoyed it. I hope you guys enjoy it too! :D 

-

"My what?" Gray exclaimed, panic lacing his voice as he stared up fearfully at the dragon before him. Glacies, let out an amused laugh at his reaction, a puff of air emerging from her nostrils and cascading around the room as if it was fog. Gray coughed, attempting to swipe at the unknown substance before he found himself falling. Falling and attempting to gain some control of his body swiping vigorously at the empty air. He landed with a huge thud, his body connecting harshly with the concrete floor. He growled, staring into the void surrounding him.

"What's the big idea? Could've been a bit gentler." Gray grumbled. Rubbing his bruised arm which he, regretfully, used to break his fall.

"Well, we have to teach you somehow" a strangely familiar voice responded from behind him. Despite it's familiarity, he found himself cringing and he found himself staring, mouth agape as the figure emerged from the void. It was as if he was looking into the mirror, despite a few minor differences. His hair was longer, and he looked more aged. And above all else, his eyes possessed a strange glint within them. A glint of knowledge, he was keen to see.

"...How is...That possible?" 

"I'm you. From the future... It's much more complicated than you imagine. I'm a spec of your subconscious in a way."

"What are you doing here?" Gray huffed, and his apparent future incarnation rolled his eyes.

"You're just as stupid as I remember you to be."

"Hey! We're the same person. You're insulting yourself as well."

"Well, it's true. I was stupid back then,  wasting so much time. Instead of enjoying those privileged moments with my mate I focused on my own pride and refused to accept the truth staring back at me. Big mistake- and I paid the price for it."

Gray stared at him, confusion in his gaze. 

"What do you mean?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

Gray's eyes snapped open. Quickly emerging from the comfort of the bed sheets. Sweat dripping from him, falling onto the soft skin of the duvet beneath him. All he could force himself to do, was stare blankly at the plaster of the wall in front of him. His mind whizzing, as thoughts consumed his mind.

'I'll find out soon enough? What... Does that mean? What's the likelihood of that actually being me from the future?'

Gray sighed, running his hand through his hair frustratedly.  He didn't get any answers, only ambiguous warning that left discomfort in its wake. If what his inner-dragon fragment said was true, Natsu was his mate. Of all people- he didn't even know that dragon slayers had mates! He certainly couldn't just walk up to Natsu and admit he was his mate, it would either end in one of two ways. Number one would be Natsu to punch him, and then continue to ignore him for the rest of the time (which would be really painful), or two, Natsu would laugh at him and not pay any mind to his words- as if it was a mere joke, which would be equally as painful. He simply couldn't win- so he only had one choice: Hide it from him. However,  Gray had a feeling it would be much more difficult than he thought. 

But that issue aside, he had another issue. An issue with combining his soul with this dragon fragment, and the other one being his supposed future incarnation. He would need to talk to someone he could trust to keep this a secret, and who had knowledge of dragons and dragon slayers. Gajeel was very knowledgeable- however he doubted he could keep quiet and he was more likely to laugh at him and dismiss him more than help him out. There was Wendy, however Gray couldn't burden her, especially after how supportive she had already been. Laxus, he immediately discounted. So that only left one option, as the world always did:

Natsu.

Gray sighed, getting up and preparing to go see his fellow guild-mate. Throwing on a shirt, he had somehow lost during the course of his day and grabbing a jacket for good measure. Although he was an ice-mage, it still looked weird to passerby's wearing barely any clothing. He was sure he would loose his jacket in a matter of minutes; but at least he tried. Taking a deep breath, Gray made his way out of his apartment. Preparing himself for the discussion to come.