Chapter 1: Mao Shih

Mao Shih was born Moa Chang in a rundown fishing town of Jinping on the planet of Xin Chongqing in 2924. Raised by a mother who worked as a prostitute in the local brothel. Father to this day remains unknown. Growing up, she received high marks in school; however, she dropped out of school at the age of 14 due to her mothers death at the hands of a frequent customer. She worked as a waitress in different restaurants after that. At age 18 she started work as a prostitute until 2944 when she married the head of the Chongain Triad. The marriage only lasted for 5 months before the leader of the Triad suddenly died mysteriously. After her husbands death, she took control of the organization and had her rivals within the organization either killed, placated with money, or blackmailed/threatened. She would eventually buy out or kill the leaders and their trusted lieutenants of the other triads in the Chinese system. Once the merger of the Chinese Triads was complete, Mao had infiltrated the credit system of China and was able to be the only money launderer making the smaller criminal organizations moot and were either forced to join the Chinese Triad or live in squalor. In 2962, the Chinese, the European, and Indian solar system governments had created the United Solar System and decided to merge currencies under the Chinese credit system. The Chinese Triad effectively became the most powerful syndicate in the galaxy. Overtime however Shih realized that power attracts the wrong type of attention from your would-be competitors and would face 17 assassination attempts from them. She would then create the organization known as Middle Management and inviting the heads of organizations that she would believe would be the most beneficial. Through the years members would come and would either retire or would be the victim of an accident when they would refuse to give up their seat. However her end would start on January 26, 3015.

Jiangbei, Chongqing

In Shih mansion a 91-year-old Mao Shih was doing tai chi with her trainer while three others were informing her of what's going on with Middle Management near the door that leads outside. "The militia movements have been targeting criminal organizations we work with ever since we cut them off from laundered money." One of the advisors stated in Mandarin. "We are unsure how they get enough money to get the money for the weapons they use but are looking into it."

While Shih was moving her stretched out hands left before pulling them back to her chest like her instructor has been doing with her. "Something me and the board members shall be discussing next week." She told him. "I want a full report and copy it so that I can hand it to the members of the board so that we can discuss our course of action."

"Yes mam." The advisor responded.

Shih stopped her light exercise as the instructor told her that the session has ended. "Thank you for the session." Shih thanked her. "The payment has been wired to your account and I hope everything is up to your satisfaction."

"Thank you, mam." The trainer said giving a slight bow in Shih's direction.

The trainer than quietly left the room. "Now." Shih then looked at her last two advisors. "Have the preparations been made?" She asked the two.

"Yes mam, in exactly one week the members of the will be at an abandoned space station between the Indian and Chinese systems." One of the advisors said formally.

"All seven will be waiting for you next week at 8:45 AM for 15 minutes before you make your appearance." The other advisor said in the same way. "The message has been delivered and they all are taking care of their immediate business then head out to the station."

"Good." She said as she approached a door that said keep out. "You three are dismissed until I call for you."

Once the advisors were out of sight, Shih opened the door to reveal a small table and a chair with a cellphone on the table. She picked up the cellphone before calling a number. "Greetings, Attorney General Wenqing I hope you are doing well." She said once she heard a voice on the other end. "Yes, I am doing well and business is good."

Shih was waiting for the Attorney General start talking. "I understand and that is why we will be sending you information so that you can maintain good standing with the doubters in the Parliament."

"Yes, I will have one of my assistants send the info to law enforcement around the galaxy about drug dealers and sex traffickers." She told him. "Have a lovely day."

She hung up and took a deep breath. She put the phone back on the table. She then exited the room closing and locking the door behind her.