6

Zac reverses out of the driveway and onto the street. I look out the window to see if she was there.

How could she just go missing? Everything she had was here at the beach house, I don't know why she would disappear.

I mean, what will we tell her parents when we can't find her? "Sorry, we lost your daughter?" Anything can happen.

"She's fine," Zac said, interrupting the silence.

"Huh? Oh, yeah."

"Stop beating yourself up. I bet we'll find her and then we could have a good Saturday."

I stopped biting my nail and turn my body to him. "Do you think though, possibly, she could be in trouble?"

"We both know Maya is a sweet girl. Yes, she's quiet and shy but you know she could never really get herself in trouble."

"Maybe you're right, but what if she is?"

"Then we solve it. Okay? Nothing bad could happen to her, that stuff is only in the movies."

"Right," I sigh.

My mind was being clustered with what ifs, and I just wanted to know why she was missing for a while.

"Do you remember the time Maya left school and she didn't come back till the following week?"

"Yeah,"

"Remember how we put up banners and everything, we all went crazy, but then when we found her, she said she just wanted be home and that's where she was the whole time?"

"Yes, I was totally pissed."

"We all were. Now, maybe that's the situation right now. She can't be gone forever, right? She has to show up someday."

"Yeah."

Zac pulls over to a empty parking spot and turns off the car.

"Now, let's go see where that girl is."

We both went opposite directions to try to see if we could possibly find her but I, for one, was not successful.

Hours has passed and not a single person we asked could help me. Everyone in the group seemed to be too busy to message us a heads up, and I was growing more and more anxious on where the hell Maya was.

I called Zac and told him to meet me up and we did. He didn't say anything when we saw each other so I understood that he too was unsuccessful.

"Hey, let's go in here." Zac says as we approached a liquor store.

We walk inside the store and go over to the man behind the counter.

"Hi, can you help us with something?" I ask.

"Sure, what is it?" The man says with a genuine smile.

"Okay, so we are looking for this girl. Do you know if you seen here in the last sixteen hours or so?" I show him a photo of Maya on my cell phone and he squints to see the picture.

"Yes, I remember her."

My smile widens as the man spoke the great news.

"She was walking with a boy, well, arguing about something. She bought a bag of chips and walked out. But, I did see the two screaming at each other in the front."

"Do you know what the boy looked like?" Zac asks.

"Tall, dark brown hair, you're size. He was young like you two. Oh, he was wearing some type of burgundy sweater. It read something like, maybe a schools name? I don't know, I think I'm going blind, so I couldn't really see."

Paul.

"Do you know what time they came around?"

"A little when the sun was coming down? Probably like six or seven."

"Alright, well, thank you for your time."

"Mhm, anytime."

We headed back into the car. Zac sat there for a moment and I was glad he didn't start the car just yet.

So, Paul and Maya were fighting, but over what? Did she not say he might of liked her? Also why did they come this far? I mean, the beach is a more than a mile away. How could they have walked by feet?

"Did they take a car?" I asked Zac.

"No, not that I know of. I mean I kind of saw them walking down next to the water, and then I didn't see them."

"So then?"

"I really don't know, Reg."

We walk to the car and I pull out my phone, quickly dialing Danielle's number. She answered it on the first ring.

"What's up?" She spoke.

"So, we walked into town, and we went into a liquor store. The man that worked there, probably owned the store, said that he had seen Maya and Paul there around sunset."

"Really?" She asks  intrigued. I place the phone on the arm rest and put the speaker on it so Zac could hear. "I went to the pier and two people said they saw Maya at night, running away from Paul. But that was the last time they seen her."

"Babe, isn't it weird? I didn't see them with a car how or why would they walk all the way to town and then run to the beach? And if she was at the beach why didn't she just come to the house? Doesn't it sound a little weird?" Zac said leaning.

"Yeah, I don't get it." She sighed. "Right now I'm not even with Paul. He took your car, and went somewhere. I mean, like, we were about to walk to the pier but he said it would be better if he drove over there."

"He left you?"

"Yeah, I'm freaking walking around everywhere, and I haven't seen his car."

"Huh, I don't know, it sounds all too sketchy. Why is Paul acting like this? Anyway, have you spoken to Jess and Michael or Kane?" I said, running my hands through my hair frustratedly.

"Kane said he hasn't seen anyone come. Jess and Michael are busy at the moment."

"Are they serious?"

"Dead."

"We'll go and pick you up. We'll see you in a few." Zac said.

"'Kay."